Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:30 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Good day at the track!

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
scotta66gt

Good day at the track!

Howdy. Went down to Budd's Creek MD today and finally got some satisfaction for the work done over the winter. Last year I ran 15.4 at about 92 MPH in the quarter. Over the winter I installed a distributor tuned by Faron Rhoades, a "cocktail shaker" (30 lb weight behind rear spring shackle) from a convertible under the right rear, and moved the spare tire from the stock left side of the trunk up near the back seat to the flat convertible style mount only on the right side.

So now it runs pretty consistent 14.7s at 95 MPH! Cut the 60' from 2.6 to 2.2 to 2.3.

Engine is a mild 390, Holley 670, Performer RPM, Comp 270H, pocket ported heads with stock small valves, stock GT exhaust manifolds, 2" exhaust. Street tires (Summitomo 215/70 HR-14), open 3.50 rear.

So how are the rest of y'all doing?

Take it easy, Scott

Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:03 pm 
dave s

Waiting for the snow to melt.so I can dig the car out dave s

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:43 am 
Fair 67

Hello
That is a pretty good improvement. I have my motor appart now rebuilding it. I am curious what cam you went with and did you use the stock heads and manifold.. Also how much tire spin did you have , would a posi help. My rear end is out also...
You are definately running a respectable time because my book says from the factory a 66 GT runs 15.2s.. Rolling Eyes .

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:16 pm 
fordone
Founder

Did you read this off my main page about my old 66 Fairlane GT
http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/66gttimes.html

Woody
Woody's Fairlane Site

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
scotta66gt

Thnaks for the responses...

Thanks for the responses, folks. The cam is a Comp 270H. Stock C6AE-U heads, stock lousy 14 bolt manifolds. It's an open rear and I really have to watch it off the line, I spun a couple of runs and wound up in the 16s. I figure with drag radials and something like a detroit soft locker would get me down.

FordOne, so that's your page on Woody's site? I saved that so that if Woody takes it down I'll have a reference. I saw you got down to a 14.16 and I feel a little bad I'm not close to that! I've got a three speed, which probably cost me a couple of tenths relative to what you did, but I'm not sure about how to get down to where you got. Once thing is certainly my technique, I'm still in the early stages learning. I can't get it to hook hard and not spin. I tried shifting at 5200 RPM vs. the 5500 I'd been doing and it did not seem to make much difference, if anything I think I lost dropping back to 5200, which seems like a better RPM on paper.

I've got manual steering and brakes, so that won't help. I don't want to leave off the air cleaner since it's a daily driver. I could ditch the spare, but that's also part of the daily driver-ness.

Thanks for the great write up! - Scott

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:48 pm 
fordone
Founder

fordone is Woody
I used fordone back in 1998 when I started my first site.
Woody

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: