Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

littel update on the 62 blow through turbo

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
purf_man

littel update on the 62 blow through turbo

well I haven't posted in MONTHS (almost a year) I finished up school (for th emost part) and have a job as an engineer now. parked my 'lane in storage and am driving a truck now. well I ended up selling off my turbo on the little 200 inliner ....and bought a bigger .57 trim TO4E and Tial 38mm wastegate for it. I also am building a hybrid TFI distributor. I am planning to go EFI next summer I think. I have a head I welded some injector bungs into and am trying to figure out what I am doing for a throttle body. picking up a megasquirt setup soon so will have it ran off of that. I also picked up an intercooeler that will be front mounted behind the stock grill (barely) shooting to put down 400hp in the end with this combo.

I am changing my suspension design soon too. I was planning on a fox based front end with spindle adaptors for SLA suspension but am looking at custom fabbed spindles now. ditching the air ride and going full coil over on it. after looking at subframe rot I am going to remove the full floors and front clip and just "tube chassis" the car. looking to just put in a full lenght ladder frame and tie it into the unibody. it is quite extremem but will be easier than trying to patch together the old unibody on it. most of the materials are on hand but currently am without a shop to work in so everything is on hold for now.

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:33 pm 
roger

sounds like a nigthmare
what do you know about th Incon turbo set up?
i saw a Stang with twin turbos the other day & it was very sweet!!
Told me it was very cheap to put together

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:46 am 
purf_man

I have no idea about kits....I make all my own bits. my LSx coils came in today so gonna start trying to figure out how to get the mounted on the car (might be getting a factory second finned valvecover to grind down and bolt them to.

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:30 pm 
purf_man

no real serious update as I have been busy with things and the car is still in storage 250 miles away.

so I dragged a spare block to where I live now to build a motor...this one is going to be EFI.

I have welded injector bungs into the 200 head. I need a little cleanup work on the welding (smoothing the welds) and some cleanup with a die grinder and it is off to get rebuilt.

I have the block ready for a finall cleaning and some paint and it will start being slapped together. I have a cam and springs on hand and picking up some ARP headware to hold it all together.

going to go visit my car in a couple weeks and going to try and get the fuel system finished up (braided lines, regulator, electric pump) and install an MSD box I picked up (6btm) and play with the carb once I get it fired back up and see if I can get it running better. I think I might need a fresher carb though but we will see.

that has been about it. Was busy fnishing up my engineering degree this past fall, working full time as an engineer adn taking and passing the FE/EIT exam (woot woot) but that is all out of the way and spring is almost here so time to get back working on the car!!

oh and I have a crazy idea floating in my head that someone revived about building an AWD fairlane.

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:02 pm 
fair67cp

Congratulations

I have a degree in Computer Science and have been working with Engineers since forever! I find the field pretty facinating in the variety of individual (personalities) and products. You will find (as with anything) there are people and non-people engineers, some are better to work with than others. Anyway, I just wanted to say good luck with everything and that I admire your gusto and energy that you approach your Fairlane mods with! Some folks are content with meeting the bar while your approach is more "defining" the bar. (just a personal observation didn't mean to hijack the thread)

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am 
purf_man

well I got the car together and running again but not tuned. installed my 5-gal GM fuel tank with pump and sender (just sitting on floorboard for now) braided line on the whole fuel system (tank to carb and regulator) an aeromotive reglator to control the pressure (boost referenced)have it back up and running but need to dial in the carb again now (fuel pressure and float level and jets) and retime the motor (removed vac advance control) I am getting the car towed to my new location in 2-3 weeks (thanks pops!!) so I will be able to get into it more now.

I have a new motor I am putting together in the coming couple of weeks. it will be getting the EFI modded head. it is a stock shortblock (slop job hone and rering/rebearing) a comp 252H cam and will be getting a new turbo manifold and the hybrid turbo (.57trim t4t3) going to be shooting for 300 hp out of this motor when it makes it in the car (need to build the header still...tublar individual runner with a split inlet) I have a distributor ready to test out when I get the car here (hybrid TFI from 2 different motors) and the MSD 6BTM box to install. I might be picking up a 2 step since I live about 45 mins from a track now and think I might start hitting it on test n tune nights to work on dialing it in some.

I am picking up a partial Aussie 200. the head needs some cracks welded up (aluminum head) and rockers (same as a 351C and BBC) and pistons (same as a US 200) but the head can be adapted to a US block so I might give that a shot first.

Now that the car is coming out of storage and I will be able to tune and play with it (no longer a daily driver) I think I will make some progress. I have a welder of my own now (well 2) so I can get on patching up some rust on the body too and sectioning the front fenders for the 245/45/17 tires.

I might have a line on a cheap fox body shell and I am tossing around the idea of picking it up for a test mule/cheap drag car. (would get a turbo inline with a C4/brake)

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:50 pm 
roger

Got your iron ring ,do ya

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:41 am 
purf_man

well not too much to update. in the middle of wiring up the TFI ignition and getting ready for the CFI conversion.

picked up another motor last weekend.....aussie 200" motor. partial motor but the important bits are there. this is the alloy cleveland head version of it. I was basicly a bare motor so will need to buy rockers and everythign for it pretty much. working a deal out for a second one (250" though) complete with factory EFI on it (wiring and box too) but it is gonna stretch me tight for a bit.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:20 pm 
purf_man

well managed to get my hybrid distributor working today....but found out I toasted a gear (or something) in my T5 when I had the car towed (was flat towed) so looks like I am rebuilding my old box to put in it so I can pull this one and go through it. joy joy.. well the good news is I am one step closer to getting the EFI on the car now.

Post Sat May 19, 2007 8:02 pm 
roger

Call clifford
Or you will trying to find bits & pieces until your retirement

Post Sun May 20, 2007 9:38 pm 
purf_man

clifford is ld news....besides pretty much none stocks the aussie stuff in the states (other that the parts that will cross over to a US motor)

gona maybe try and get some EFI action going on this weekend.

Post Fri May 25, 2007 7:56 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: