Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Lifter valley pan HEAT Disapation or Lubrication?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
GunMuse

Lifter valley pan HEAT Disapation or Lubrication?

I built a 352 interceptor to put back into my 66 390 GT. The engine had be rebuilt once prior but knowing the kids I bought it from no clue if it was done right.

I remember a lifter valley pan(piece of metal) that use to sit in some of these engines.

First what is the actual purpose of this piece and second is it necessary since this engine didn't have one but I am certain that it probably did orginally.

I restricted the oil flow to the heads and will be using the orginal 390 GT 4barrel intake (maybe even the orginal carb) and switched to a pivot push rod setup to reduce pressure on the rocker arms at the upper rpms.

So I am wondering if I may be encuring another problem down the road.

some have told me the valley plate was for lubrication purposes. But I think that is just a guess. I was betting that it was there to reflect heat from the upper cylinder walls back into the oil. Both to cool the top side of the cylinders with the volume of oil that Ford use to put up there plus it help keep that heat away from the intake in addition ot the sheet metal riveted to intake.

So what I need to know is.
What is the real function of this part.
If I take it out do I need to beef up the cooling to compinsate because I reduced oil flow in the heads?

any thoughts?

"Why is my wrench never where I think I left it, but always where I actually left it?"

http://www.prnewsnow.com

1966 390 GT Fairlane hardtop (Currently restoring and mod'ing.)

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ranch67

i've heard both arguments

do a search on the FE forum. you will find tons of info there about oiling mods.
my 390 didnt have it when i replaced the iron manifold. i opted to install one for $10.
it keeps hot oil off my now aluminum intake and probably helps keep the carb pad cooler.
my rear intake seal used to leak also and i think it may have been a result of that missing piece. since i have installed one, no leaks.

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: