Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:59 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Whats the Deal with the 65's

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Lawdog

Whats the Deal with the 65's

I haven't seen much popularity and even some dislike with the 65 fairlane's and my question is why???

From what I can tell it's the only year with it's body style which in my book should actually make it a plus. It's got potential. Also given the fact it was the only year for that body wouldn't that have potential to make it more valuable down the road?

Why the dislike????

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:16 pm 
GerryProctor

This is just my honest opinion, but I think there's a reason that it's a one year only body style...too boxy and no style. They're not ugly, but they don't compare well in the driveway appeal with the prior or past designs.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 am 
Sorno

It is just isn't an appealing car. I don't know what Ford was thinking when they went from the stylish 64 to a box on wheels 65. If they would have made it look like a 65 Merc it would have been much better.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:48 am 
bulletpruf

quote:
Originally posted by GerryProctor:
This is just my honest opinion, but I think there's a reason that it's a one year only body style...too boxy and no style. They're not ugly, but they don't compare well in the driveway appeal with the prior or past designs.

I concur with Gerry, except for the "they're not ugly" comment... Just an unappealing car sandwiched in between two great-looking cars.

Just my $.02...

Scott

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:44 am 
SD44

the only thing i liked about the 65 was the tailights. the grill was ugly and the body was square.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:59 am 
GerryProctor

quote:
Originally posted by bulletpruf:
I concur with Gerry, except for the "they're not ugly" comment... Just an unappealing car sandwiched in between two great-looking cars.

Just my $.02...

Scott

I was trying to be diplomatic Laughing

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:31 am 
bulletpruf

One thing that I don't understand is why the manufacturers changed body styles so often and dramatically, especially when they had a proven winner. Case in point - 57 Chevy - beautiful car, but WTF happened in 58? Man, those cars are ugly.

Same with the 64 Fairlane - beautiful car (and I'm assuming they were a financial success for Ford), so why only a one-year style?

Of course, now we have the opposite happening - cars often seem to keep the same basic shape and configuration (ie. Fox body Mustangs - 1979-?) and the basic profiles of cars seem to be a bit generic and boring.

Scott

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:19 pm 
GerryProctor

The difference between the pre '70s cars and then after is that cars were designed by designers back then. They are now designed by focus groups.

The biggest thing going besides the new fall television lineup (and out of reruns. Remember those days before 200 channels of anything you want?) was the new car rollouts. Dealerships were shrouded as the new model year cars were rolled into the showrooms. The public eagerly anticipated this every fall. Now with the focus group-designed cars, we all know what we're going to get. More o' the same middle of the road bland car designed by commitee. Ho-hum. Who cares.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:11 pm 
64_Fairlane_Wagon

quote:
One thing that I don't understand is why the manufacturers changed body styles so often and dramatically, especially when they had a proven winner. Case in point - 57 Chevy - beautiful car, but WTF happened in 58? Man, those cars are ugly.

Same with the 64 Fairlane - beautiful car (and I'm assuming they were a financial success for Ford), so why only a one-year style?

Of course, now we have the opposite happening - cars often seem to keep the same basic shape and configuration (ie. Fox body Mustangs - 1979-?) and the basic profiles of cars seem to be a bit generic and boring.

Back then, they drastically changed the body styles about every three years. 55-57 Chevy's, 62-64 Fairlanes, 58-60, 61-63 and 64-66 Thunberbirds, etc. They wanted to draw in as many people as they could with the latest, and greatest look, and make their old car look outdated.

I happen to love the '58 Chevy, Razz but agree that the '65 Fairlanes didn't look that great.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:17 pm 
Lawdog

I guess that's a perfect example of to each there own. I look at the body style and love it. When I look at it I think of a 1965 vehicle with quite a bit of potential to be a damn nice ride. I still like the uniqueness of it being the only year that body style was made.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:53 pm 
thefairlaneman

In 65 Ford really didnt know what to do with the fairlane, The muscle car era had begun and FORD wanted a car to put against the coming 396 chevelle and othe GM muscle cars.The 65 like the previous fairlanes wouldnt accept a bigger block and plans for the 66 GTs were already in progress. The 65 sport coupe was a quick car with the 289 HP but the public wanted more power. I think they should have used the 64 body another year but evidently didnt.

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:42 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: