Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

M/C and Booster from 87-93 Mustang
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
shades_o_grey

M/C and Booster from 87-93 Mustang

A while back, on the old forum, jelawsonjr posted about plumbing in a M/C and booster from the stangs. But I never found where he said whether it worked or not. jelawson, if you're on here, how did it go? I'd like to try that, since mustang owners around here have always been a little dumb ( I still like the guys though) and there's tons of fox body stuff in the boneyards around here. Let me know if you can, I appreciate it man,

Brado

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:39 pm 
jelawsonjr

Hey Brado,
I haven't attempted the mod yet, I'm still rebuilding my front end. This mod is in line with the brake upgrades that are coming with the front end rebuild. I've got the parts and I've seen the Mustang MC used so I'm relately certain it will work. Worst case, it will put me through the windshield if I smack the pedal too hard.
We'll see.... Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:03 pm 
shades_o_grey

Awesome, Awesome. I got a question for you jim. It's cool if I call you jim, right? Laughing Any cool cruise nights up where you're at? We've got a little meet here at culvers on friday nights when the weather's nice in Kerrville, if you ever make it up that way. And I'd like to see the M/C first hand when you get it done. This'll be my first ford build up, and I'm not even sure what I'm gonna end up with. The guy I'm getting the fairlane from has like 4 of them, and I get to go down there ( a 600 mile drive) and pick one out and trailer it back, and I'm gonna need a lot of advice on this car. You're the closest to me, so if it's ok with you, I'll be asking lots of advice.

Brado

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:47 pm 
Ranch67

I'd like to see pics of install also...

I dont consider myself a dumb mustang owner either. i've had my 67 mustang for 20 years now.
This whole MC upgrade for my 67 ranchero has got me all messed in the head.
I'd like to keep power setup without interfering with the big-block valve covers which are aftermarket units. More to come as i tear into this.

Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
jelawsonjr

Bare with me guys...I'm a perfectionist and I tend to move slow. I'm currently working on my front end rebuild. Replacing all the stock rubber pieces with hi-tech polygraphite from PST. Of course, all the pieces going together HAVE to be cleaned primed and painted! I just started bolting the newly refrubished pieces on today. It's taken me months to get here (for various reasons).
Next up is bolting the new disc hardware in place and plumbing the new lines.
After that, we get to the MC and booster. The main concerns with Fairlanes is the firewall to shock tower clearances. If the power booster is too thick, it pushes the MC into the shock tower. I've measured my Mustang setup and it looks good. I can't say if this is an issue with the Ranchero, does it have a shock tower?
I may need to reorient the wiper motor because the boosters sometimes crowd the motor out. This is a whole new can of worms.
One thing leads to another...it's a journey.

Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:05 pm 
LiLMike

I'm in the planning stages of my frontend rebuild, disc brake swap and so forth. I have found 2 interesting things:

http://www.maverickcomet.com/TechArticles/Hydroboost/Hydroboost1.asp

http://www.fatmanfab.com/06page19.htm

I believe this is the way I'll go. makes for interesting reading and maybe some future plans by ya'll. Hope this helps.

Mike

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
oldracer

M/C And booster

I talked to a guy that told me the MustangII booster and master cylinder are smaller than most. Is this true?
My 521 stroker with the sheet metal valve covers ended up right where my old master cyl. went.
"old'

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:09 pm 
oldracer

Bendix Hydrovac

Back in my drag racing days we used to get a unit called a Bendix Hydrovac,it could be mounted anywhere and hooked into the master cyl.I put one on my'58 Pontiac and acouple of buddies '60 Chevy and '61 Plymouth.Has anyone heard of these?And are they still available?
They really worked great.
"Old"

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:17 pm 
jelawsonjr

Hey Old,
The Mustang MS is smaller in size but the cylinder internals are plenty beefy to produce a good line pressure. It does have a smaller footprint than the old cast iron MC's that are used.
As for hydroboost thing...looks like a lot of work for little gain. Just my humble opinion.

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:25 pm 
steve

Brake booster

I used a booster from an 88 areostar on my 64. I had to do some minor mods to the opening in the firewall and had to extend the rod to reach the brake pedal. I used a M/C from a 98 Mustang. Discs all around, and 12.4" Crown Vic rotors and calipers on the front. Stops good with no unexpected lockup. Oh ya I had to use a different wiper motor. I made one from a Tempo fit. Some guys have turned the stock one around to point the other way.

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:41 pm 
jelawsonjr

Hey Steve! Good to see you on the board.

Listen to this this guy fellas....if you're lucky enough to see his work, you'll see that he's a master at fabrication!

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:47 pm 
steve

I wouldn't say that I am that good. I just know how to adapt things when needed. I have to do that at work when we are designing/ modifying machines. Been doing that for 20 years, so this sort of thing comes naturally. I had to do some creative thinking when I put my AOD in the other day and the shifter lever came out of the floor exactly where the speedo cable runs. DOH! Spent 3 hours getting the lever/ linkage just right.

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:49 am 
jelawsonjr

Steve,
You're waaaay to modest!
I've seen your work. Very Happy

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:58 am 
oldracer

Bendix hydro-vac

I found out today I can still get the Bendix Hydro-vac booster,it mounts anywhere under the hood and is a simple hookup.(The only downside is it will only work with a single master cylinder.
(Old)

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm 
jay123

Anybody here try the Geo booster thing? I've read that it works great and takes less space under the hood:

http://www.fedora.net/falconaut/

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:56 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: