Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

What larger fits into a 66?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
black396

What larger fits into a 66?

Got a 66 air car , w/ a auto. What can I fit into this, without a bigass hassle? I don't want to fool with the towers.

Will a 351W fit?

Charles

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:26 am 
Scott66gta

yes...

A 351w is a bolt in, a 427/390/428 will fit w/ the right brackets, and Crites sells a kit for a 385 series 429/460/514 conversion....

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
fair67cp

Depends on what you consider a "hassle" really. What you have in there now may make it more difficult. For instance, if you are running a 289 then 351 W is a direct bolt in. If you have a staight 6, you will need different motor mounts and a slightly different bell housing for your automatic. I'm assuming you have a C-4? C-4 will be okay with the 351, but you would want to "beef it up" somewhat and maybe change the torque converter "stall" and put in a shift kit... Not really sure about all this but know from what I've read. Some of the larger displacement engines you may consider a C-6 and 9" rear end, or modified 8.8 from a ranger or an Explorer. So as you can kind of see here it depends on what is considered a hassle. I have seen a(pictures) straight 6 coupe (like I have) converted to a 427 and it is simply beautiful. I think it belongs to "bullit proof" that posts here. Good luck!

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:14 pm 
Scott66gta

thx for adding, fair67cp...

nm

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
bulletpruf

quote:
Originally posted by fair67cp:
Depends on what you consider a "hassle" really. What you have in there now may make it more difficult. For instance, if you are running a 289 then 351 W is a direct bolt in. If you have a staight 6, you will need different motor mounts and a slightly different bell housing for your automatic. I'm assuming you have a C-4? C-4 will be okay with the 351, but you would want to "beef it up" somewhat and maybe change the torque converter "stall" and put in a shift kit... Not really sure about all this but know from what I've read. Some of the larger displacement engines you may consider a C-6 and 9" rear end, or modified 8.8 from a ranger or an Explorer. So as you can kind of see here it depends on what is considered a hassle. I have seen a(pictures) straight 6 coupe (like I have) converted to a 427 and it is simply beautiful. I think it belongs to "bullit proof" that posts here. Good luck!

fair67cp - I've got the '67 2dr hardtop F'lane 500, Wimbledon White with the teardrop 427 hood that went from 289, C4, 8" to 514, C4, 9". There' a pic posted on the members cars page.

Black396 - the 429/460 swap isn't terribly difficult, and doesn't require notching the shock towers, but I'd shy away from that on a purely street car. Spark plug access can be a problem w/o notched shock towers and it's not a light engine. Also, you'll need to swap out your tranny for a beefed up C6 and the 8" should be swapped out, too, unless you're going with a very mild combo. IMO, the 429/460 swap makes the most sense when you need to make more hp than you can with a reasonably built Windsor.

I've also got a '66 Convt with a 289/C4. Had thought about upgrading to a 351W, but will probably just rebuild the 289 to keep it original.

Good luck,

Scott

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:51 am 
black396

Hassle, leme tell ya about hassles.........

.......but you don't have the time. Come to the free, January Silver Springs, Fla NPD All Ford Show, and I will treat you to a hassle show.

My car is a very original 40k car with a C4-289 car. the 460 sounds reasonable, as I am just finishing a 70.5 Falcon done this way. I just do not want to play with the shock towers, etc.

I don't run this thing at the track, but I don't want to be embarressed by some cretin w/ a 5.0 whatever.

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:00 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: