Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

son of a b(%^h

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edwardejv

son of a b(%^h

well i got home today around 4:15, fell asleep and was woke up by my wife about 5:00 some how the back windshield in my firebird (only 1 payment it to the contract) is busted it doesn't appear to have been hit with anything and its not hot enough to explode the glass damn this sucks

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
GerryProctor

How would being hot (or cold - I've heard that variation as well) explode the glass? If it did, wouldn't there be glass littering the streets of Phoenix every summer?

None the less, damn the bad luck.

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:17 am 
edwardejv

thats what i think also i have seen people crack em in the winter poring hot water on them , but have never seen one bust from just hear or cold

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Fair 67

I grew up in canada and have seen 75 below with the windchill and 48 below without a windchill. I have never seen or even heard of a window breaking due to cold weather...
Do you have mischievious kids in the neighborhood with a BB gun.. Just a thought..

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:34 am 
67fairlane500
Site Admin

the kids having fun with a BB or having fun with the porcelain end of a spark plug. If you hit it just right it will shatter the entire window. all it takes is a tap.

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:19 pm 
edwardejv

apt. complex lots of bad kids

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:52 pm 
edwardejv

a buddy of mine owns a glass shop he can get the glass for 118.00 and the trim/seal kit for 30.00 not sure what install is going to be but he'll lend me a truck to drive for the day

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:30 pm 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by GerryProctor:
How would being hot (or cold - I've heard that variation as well) explode the glass? If it did, wouldn't there be glass littering the streets of Phoenix every summer?

None the less, damn the bad luck.

you've never heard of this happening? i've known of several instances where this happened, it's from the windows not being slightly cracked open and too much heat building up inside the car. i actually saw it happen once when i was a kid, i was on the school bus while it was loading in the parking lot of school and looking out the window on a hot august day and the back glass of a little plymouth reliant k-car just fractured all over. the glass didn't fall out, it just fragmented into little pieces over the complete glass.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:24 pm 
edwardejv

SD that appears to be what happened to mine

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:47 pm 
GerryProctor

Y'all must have some awesome weatherstrip and some other super sealing going on. You'll have to forgive me if I sound skeptical on this one. Just finding it hard to believe that any car is so tightly sealed that it can create an overpressure in the cabin and explode a window out of the car.

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:52 am 
edwardejv

it seal prety tight when you shut the doors with the windows up the hatch will jump a little, i still think it had help. im sure that heat ansd cold are factored in in the desige of auto glass . the only warning iv seen is laminated gless when i was tinting my windows said not to heat it . my buddy Randy dose glass all day(not much automotive) and he don't see how heat can exlpode one eather way i got it fixed and get my car back this morring. he told me to pay for half the parts and no labor Very Happy .im sure he'll get the rest out of me he has two trucks the transmissions have to come out of. guess where ill be

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:20 am 
fair67cp

Engineering possibilities ANYTHING can and will happen. Who knows what combination of things set it off. It could have been moisture, bird droppings, age, pressure points in installation, production quality, etc. I have heard that once a crack starts vibration from the road can cause fragmentation during driving which is quite dangerous. That is the reason a cracked windshield won't pass inspection in any state.

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:29 am 
pkmach1

While I was on active duty at Ft. Bragg, NC as a Military Police we got called to a house due to damage to a servicemember's vehicle. The back window in his minivan was busted and he thought some juveniles did it. The weather changed drastically that night and once we looked at it there was no way it was busted inwards because all of the glass was scattered around the outside of the vehicle, there was only a few small peices on the inside of the van. My guess was that there was a small imperfection in the glass that caused it to bust with the temp change, similar to what can happen in the winter when you hit windshield with heat to defrost it.

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:43 pm 
Rylic

I was driving my truck to work one morning, and got a chip/cracked spot from a rock. This was a Friday morning. On Tuesday morning (Monday was a holiday), the spot hadn't spread any (was a half-dollar sized spot or smaller), but after lunch, I look out at it and it had spread a foot across my windshield, I assume just from it getting hotter outside. I think I actually saw it spread a little while I was driving it home that afternoon as well.

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by GerryProctor:
Y'all must have some awesome weatherstrip and some other super sealing going on. You'll have to forgive me if I sound skeptical on this one. Just finding it hard to believe that any car is so tightly sealed that it can create an overpressure in the cabin and explode a window out of the car.

if i hadn't heard of 3 or 4 incidents of it happening plus witnessing it once, i'd completely agree with you. i honestly have no idea behind the physics of why it happens, but it definitely does.

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:04 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: