Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

bump steer on a granada conversion?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ponch0v

bump steer on a granada conversion?

I have read that bump steer is a problem with the Granada disk conversions. Has anyone had issues with this?

I am planning this conversion but after dealing with bump steer in a p/s conversion in an early Bronco its something I will not tolerate.

Thoughts?

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:58 am 
fairlaniac

No issue here on mine!

I have heard some of the early Mustang guys complain but for every one that complains, five say they have no isse???

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:51 am 
fair67cp

I think there is an article or something in the Fairlaner. The Fairlaner is a monthly publication that comes from the Fairlane of America club. I never saw the article, but the bump steer affects all models earlier than 66 I believe. Something about the geometry of the spindles being off 1/8 inch or a quarter. It says a good alignment shop can compensate for it somewhat, but there is no way to get it 100% dead on because of the descrepency. That is the way I understand the article presents this. Perhaps someone here can set you up with a link to it.

Good luck! I wend with the Granada and am 100% pleased with the results.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:28 pm 
fairjohn

As I understand it, bump steer is caused by the tie rod ends moving up and down as the suspension travels. When a car is lowered, or as in your case a granada spindle steering arm thats a tad bit higher than your factory spindle, the tie rod end gets closer to a level position and under braking can go past the level position which causes the tires to toe outwards which causes the car to pull side to side. Mustangs Plus sells a bump steer corrector kit that uses a spacer block that mounts on the spindle steering arm and locates the outer tie rod downward. It's interesting that some guys would have this problem and others don't after a granada swap. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the guys that have trouble with this also have a lowered vehicle compounding the problem.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:12 pm 
fair67cp

I think it could be just a matter of comfort level. Different strokes for different folks!

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:23 am 
fastmerc

....smoother roads!!????

Smile

fm

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:28 pm 
dm63ford

It will depend on how you drive your car.
My 63 has the Granada swap with urethane suspension bushings, oversize anti-sway bar. 347 stroker motor.
I have had issues with bump steer while correcting for the rear sliding sideways.
There are kits you can get now to mount disc's to your original spindles. I am considering reversing mine.

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:51 pm 
427_Fairlane

I can't say on the Fairlanes yet, but I did a 71 Ranchero, a 70 Torino and a lot of Mustangs from 65-69 and never had any problems with the Granada conversion. In fact, I did this to a `57 Ford last year, drove like a new car, and the suspension systems were completely different. I will be doing this to my `67 this spring. Although, it really isnt that much cheaper any more, due to the parts scalpers knowing that this is a good swap. I paid $20 for the last complete setup I bought, which was practically a steal. I got it from a friend though. Most of the time, you'll pay about 100-150 for a complete setup, then have to start replacing things. I had to buy new rotors and calipers for mine, as well as bearings, etc. The rotors are beginning to cost more, for whatever reason. I paid $50 each for mine at the local Advance Auto Parts. This seems to be the case everywhere. Calipers were only $12 each though. The higher end brakes may have the edge on maintaining geometry and so forth, since most can use stock spindles. For the money though, I'll keep using Granada or Maverick parts.

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:41 pm 
RadMan

Sorry friends. I posted my responce to bump steer under the topic of brake bleeding. I can learn to do better.

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:50 pm 
roger

I did the Granda fr. disc conversion on my 63 & 62.
Never expeirenced any sign of bumpsteer whatsoever.
I did find out hte hard way that you can;t use Versaille spindles, though.

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:36 pm 
RadMan

MET said it, alignment by a good skilled operator makes all the differance. I am not saying that all bump steer concerns are because of poorly trainedpeople but try to stay away from chaine stores. Quick lube, quick brakes, quick alignment are not what I am looking for when wanting a good job on something like this. If a tech. is only looking at a computer print out of What a Fairlane should be set at, then take it somewhere else.

Bump steer is the product of the arc of the spindle and the arc of the tie rod being miss matched. Pulling or pushing the toe setting in and out as the suspension travels up and down. This condition will cause a darting effect.

On the Fairlane this can mostly eliminated by having the Caster set at max. My 64 drives great at all speeds over dips and rises without an issue.

Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:07 am 
roger

Radman is correct,
i did find an old school shop, the guy is a hot Rodder & he knew all about what it takes to align early front ends, this is more than half the battle, finding a shop that even knows where to start

Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:42 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: