Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

From Auto to Manual?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wishbone

From Auto to Manual?

Walk me thru the process of changing my 3 speed automatic 63 sports coupe to a 4 speed manual in the floor! Thanks ahead.

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:20 pm 
John64

Purchase a 62 and 63 Ford Fairlane shop manuals. Torque bolts with torque wrench to proper specifications (especially the flywheel & clutch assembly)

purchase BW T-10 4 spd(needs different style crossmember) or get a toploader 4 spd from a '64 (HEH-B wide ratio or HEH-E close ratio), shifter assembly, flywheel, flywheel bolts, pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing, bellhousing, clutch fork, pedal assembly, engine and frame z-bar mounts, z-bar, rods that connect from pedal to z-bar & z-bar to clutch fork, floor tunnel hump, trim ring and shifter boot, manual steering column & steering hub(both upper and lower) and might need to replace drive shaft or modify existing driveshaft. If your using console you will need the required parts for the 4 spd console.

Step 1: jack up car on all 4 corners (get it a least as high as the height of the trans so you can slide it out from underneath) disconnect driveshaft, exhaust, auto shifter controls, remove TQ bolts, bellhousing bolts, trans lines, support trans with jack, remove trans crossmember and pull out trans.
Step 2: plug cooler lines on rad, remove flexplate, front carpet, steering wheel , steering column, and automatic brake pedal assembly. clean up mess and get ready for install.
Step 3: install flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, mount bellhousing, slide throw out bearing onto input shaft and install trans and trans crossmember. mount clutch fork. test fit shifter and rods. Cut hole in floor, mount shifter handle, position and mount floor tunnel hump. re-install front carpet. Install 4 spd pedal assembly , steering coulmn, steering hub and steering wheel. Install frame and engine z-bar mounts and z-bar. connect z-bar rods. adjust clutch. connect driveshaft, exhaust , fill fluids ...etc etc etc .....

easy swap if you have all the parts available.
couple of pics of correct interior parts, steering column & steering hub, floor hump and pedal assembly

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:35 am 
wishbone

John P, Thanks for the great info. Where can I find that hump plate like the one in your picture? Exactly what do I do to my auto steering column? I have a 62 3 speed on the column, so I have the clutch and brake pedal assembly and the pieces that connect to the bell housing. What is your rough estimate on what this will cost me? Is that a stock steerling column in your picture?

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:16 pm 
John64

the hump in the picture is an original metal one. They are hard to come by and sometimes rusty. You can purchase fiberglass reproduction humps from Fairlane part suppliers like, Crites or AutoKrafters. The steering column in the picture is an original 64 floor shift, 4 spd column. If you are going to use the auto column, you just need to gut it out. The 2 top pieces will need to be replaced. They come up for sale often...check ebay, or you can cut off the auto shift lever and fill in the hole, you will also have to fill in the slot where the clear plastic gear indicator went. Since you have bellhousing, clutch linkage and pedal assembly, all you will need is the transmission, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Price will depend on which trans you buy, and what condition it is in .Price for flywheel, pressure plate and clutch will be the same, depends if you want stock OEM or aftermarket pieces.

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:01 pm 
John64

here's a little info if your are going to look for the 2 top pieces for the steering column. Don't be fooled by sellers (especially on Ebay) trying to pawn off Mustang pieces as Fairlane. Note that the base of the fairlane steering wheel is recessed about a ¼" and sits inside the hub. Although the Mustang piece will work, it is not correct and will leave an awlful looking ¼" gap between the steering wheel and top hub. Look for top pieces with C4AA-3511-AW (tall red one in picture) or C5AA-3511-(black one in picture) The short Mustang one is C3DA-3511-BW, it is the same as Falcon, I think the is also a later short style with C5DA for mustang and falcon. See pics for differences between the 2 styles.

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:54 pm 
Overdrive

You did not mention if you have the original engine or a later 6 bolt model.
The bellhousing and transmission has different bolt patterns on the later engines.

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:51 pm 
wishbone

Right now the car has a 64 289 3 speed automatic, but I want to go to a 347 stroker 4 speed. Do I need to change out any of the mounts where the clutch pedal and stopper will mount?

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:45 pm 
John64

your 64 block is probably a 5 bolt pattern for the bellhousing. You will need a 5 bolt bellhousing, which has a narrow bolt pattern for the early style trans. Check out David Kee's Toploader site for more info http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/main_case_id.htm . You haven't said what trans you have or are going to use. The BW T-10 for 63 are hard to come by and make sure it comes with the correct trans crossmember. The Toploader for 64 are also hard to come by, but are easier to find than the T-10. Both will have a narrow trans bolt pattern.

quote:
Do I need to change out any of the mounts where the clutch pedal and stopper will mount?

Not sure what you mean? You mentioned you have a clutch and brake pedal assembly from a 62, make sure it's in working order, change the bushings etc... then swap out the auto pedal assembly from your car and install the the clutch/brake pedal assembly.

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:10 pm 
wishbone

I was talking about the holes where the stop that keeps the clutch pedal from going up but so far. Also where the eye bolt and spring bolt on. I was going to try and find a top loader out of a 60's or 70's mustang. Seems like there are alot more of them.

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:26 am 
John64

just checked my spare auto pedal assembly and it does have the mounting holes for the clutch pedal stopper and bracket for the eyebolt and spring. If your has the holes, you can leave the support under the dash and just swap out the pedals, bracket and spring.

If your are going to use a toploader from a mustang you might run into problems. The 64 & 65 Fairlane use the only 2 toploaders that are 25½" in length and the tailshaft is unique to early Fairlanes. All other toploaders are 24" or 27". If you want the look of originality and are going to use the floor tunnel hump or a console, it's not going to work. If your not going for the original look, use any toploader and cut the hole in the floor where the shifter will end up.

Looking at the ID chart http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/tailhousingid.htm . You might be able to use a toploader from a 64 -67 galaxie 289/390 (28 spline) and use a Fairlane shifter and still have the shifter hole in the floor in the correct location. the trans is 1½" longer, so driveshaft will have to be modified or replaced..

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:20 pm 
wishbone

John P,

I talked with a man today that has a 5 speed toploader tranny out of a 80's model mustang. Would that be a good tranny for my hot rod or should I try and find the 4 speed? What problems will I run into?

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:41 pm 
67fairlane500
Site Admin

i think you are thinking about the T5. Not a toploader. I have that in my 67. It works great. Just don't run 4.11s.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:48 am 
wishbone

This is for a 63 sports coupe with a 347 stroker 425hp, 3.89 gears. and a console.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:47 pm 
67fairlane500
Site Admin

I was just saying i didn't believe there was a 5 speed toploader made. You can put a T5 in there...which is what were in the 80s and early 90s mustangs. Also look at TKO and tremec for that kind of power. It could of been one of those transmissions as well as they can hold under a lot of torque. 3.89s might still be steep for a 5 speed. I don't think the built fox body mustangs usually used anything higher than 3.73 in a manual car.

30MPH come too quick in my car, and I would like to shift only once before 60. I think overall my car would be quicker to 60 with one less shift...or maybe i just need to learn how to shift faster. Very Happy

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:55 pm 
John64

the T5 will work fine behind a 347 storker, but in the earlier post you mentioned that you have a 64 block. The T5 uses a 6 bolt bellhousing and will NOT bolt up to your 5 bolt block. You will need to use the bellhousing from the T5 or use an original 60's bellhousing with a spacer kit. Also, you will not be able to use your console. The T5 shifter will not be postioned in the same location as the toploader shifter. If you go ahead with the T5, best years to get the from are 90-93 mustang, or aftermarket

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:09 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: