Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:13 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Electrical Wiring Upgrade

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
FordXL

Electrical Wiring Upgrade

I found my 67 Fairlane in the South Pacific on the Island of Luzon more than 30 years ago. I was stationed overseas for more than 18 years during my military career and had to put her in storage during many of those years. I retired from the military and just recently retired from my second career and now want to focus on fully restoring my car. I purchased a donor car a few years ago and upgrading the front suspension, swapping the 289 for a 351C Cobra Jet with an aluminum radiator, while changing the C-4 to a C-6, and obtaining a 9' rear end. I installed a Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system and reupholstered the donor car interior and installed it in my Fairlane. Due to the age of the wiring and the years it sat in a rented storage facility I think that I really should rewire the car.
Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should proceed? I know very little about rewiring a vehicle and have been unable to find wiring systems specifically designed for the Fairlane. Any Suggestions?

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am 
donwight

a replacement direct fit wiring harness kit is unknown to me, but there is a company that is supposedly in development stage for a kit. i replied to a search for an acceptable car for development and was given a reply that cars had been selected. hopefully they release it soon and get the 66/67 500/gt/xl variations sorted. i will be a buyer myself.

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 pm 
roger

Fairlane wiring

Yea, I read that either Painless wiring or Dennis Carpenter had borrowed a 66 F;lane & were going through the wiring to mock up a Do it yourself kit,
There are the universal kits, 8 to 12 circuits from Painless if you know what your doing.
I've done some of it, Battery relocation kit, Headlight replay upgrade kit & the under hood "start em up kit" all from Mad Electrical.
But, I'd love to do a under dash upgrade, moving that silly Headlight fuse box to a 10 -12 circuit separate fuse box that you could at least get to easily.
I;m just not very "electrical friendly" so unless I can buy a kit I.E- - cut this, solder that , move this, mount this kinda kit,
I;m wary of messing with the stock stuff.

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:51 pm 
purf_man

I am looking at some of the modular packard boxes.

you can replace fuses with relays. all weather proof and wires up like metripac stuff does.

only messy part will be the headlight switch conversion.

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:18 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: