Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Members Cars

Fun with my '63 on a rotisserie.

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
1320lane

Fun with my '63 on a rotisserie.

It was pretty cool to finally get the thing up and mounted and rotating it.

Larry

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Last edited by 1320lane on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:08 am 
Fair 67

That is pretty cool. After the car is done you should put it back on to eliminate the grocery store door dings.

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:20 am 
fair67cp

Looks like one heck of a big bed of charcoal! Do you prefer your fairlane rare, medium or well done??? Laughing

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:24 pm 
1320lane

I figure the 66" tall monster truck Goodyears will take care of any door ding potential, also keep me from being block in anywhere. Laughing

It'll be well done when I'm finished. Hoping to get a high 9 out of it when it's done. I've got a 427 mockup block in the garage and a mockup Jerico 4-speed (both are broke), I just need to get a scattershield and the pair of motor plates so I can get the engine placement straightened out. Then get a set of heads on to build headers. I've also got a full sump pan out of a chassis car that threw a rod (actually, it was on this 427 block). I'm thinking of patching it and seeing about running a tube thru it to clear the steering linkage.

I've got a little rust repair in the passenger side rear floorboard. I'll be removing the front leaf spring mounts as I'm going ladder bars (already removed the driver's side). I'll also remove the front sheet metal mount for the fuel tank straps, the rear shock crossmember that has the snubber mount on it (mine has some big rings added there for tying the car down onto a trailer), the brackets that I think are for the emergency brake cables.

I've removed the driveshaft loop that was mounted to the floor (mygirls63 is getting it) and another bracket that I think holds the other end of the emergency brake cable, or it held a shifter cable, it mounts on the passenger side of the tunnel and there is a spot on the floorboard that looks like it's stock.

Thought it was cool that the front leaf spring mounts bolt on as do the front strut rod mounts.

What are the brackets that mount on the inside of the front torque boxes, did they have a tranny mount to them?

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Last edited by 1320lane on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:27 pm 
John64

Larry,
The 2 brackets on the inside of the torque boxes are for the trans crossmember. I am currently in the process of doing what you will be doing soon. Installed the block, scattershield and trans to mount the floor hump for 4 spd shifter. Also mounted the heads so I can start custom making fender exit headers and still in the process of either modifing the original Econoline front leaf springs or custom making new front leafs for the straight axle set-up...

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:40 pm 
1320lane

SBF street car or strip car? Man, if it's a strip car, I have a Lakewood and a Liberty modified Toploader that I would have liked to have sold you. The tranny is a small in/out and I don't think it'll hold up to the torque my FE will make even after the shaft upgrades, plus a Jerico will allow me for more gear choices.

Do you plan on running subframe connectors?

I was thinking fender exit headers before I found out that I can't run a R&P in Nostalgia Super Stock. Sad

I plan on putting the master cylinder under the dash so I'd free up some space above the box. I have a buddy with them on a '56 Crown Vic with a 385 series and a one piece front end (well, two piece, the hood comes off) and they sound pretty sweet. The only thing is, I may end up having to run mufflers in the future and I know some sanctioning bodies don't like collector mufflers and I'm not slamming the car.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:46 pm 
1320lane

SBF street car or strip car? Man, if it's a strip car, I have a Lakewood and a Liberty modified Toploader that I would have liked to have sold you. The tranny is a small in/out and I don't think it'll hold up to the torque my FE will make even after the shaft upgrades, plus a Jerico will allow me for more gear choices.

Do you plan on running subframe connectors?

I was thinking fender exit headers before I found out that I can't run a R&P in Nostalgia Super Stock. Sad

I plan on putting the master cylinder under the dash so I'd free up some space above the box. I have a buddy with them on a '56 Crown Vic with a 385 series and a one piece front end (well, two piece, the hood comes off) and they sound pretty sweet. The only thing is, I may end up having to run mufflers in the future and I know some sanctioning bodies don't like collector mufflers and I'm not slamming the car.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:54 pm 
John64

quote:
Originally posted by 1320lane:
SBF street car or strip car?

The car will be street legal, but mainly for the track to have some fun. Keeping it a SBF 289 for now (plenty of room in the engine compartment for a 427 FE in the future) . The toploader I have is HEH-B, small in/out, correct for 64-65 Fairlane (28 spline- 25½" trans).Haven't decided on subframe connectors yet. I have built a rear crossmember and T-bolt style traction bars and was thinking of tieing the front torque box to the rear crossmember, but it might interfere with the rear spring mount for the front leaf springs, so I might not put them in. Here's a couple shots on the engine compartment. ( yeah, I know !! some of FE fanatics think the SBF/FE knock off vavle covers are cheesy, but at least there will be no roller rocker clearance issues....)

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:47 am 
1320lane

Wow, are those Bostroms? (sp?)

I'm gussing Crites fenders, hood and bumpers? Maybe not, confused on the bumper and fenders. I thought the Crites fenders had the '64 trim holes, but were the '63 length in the front. Crites lists both the '63-'64 style front bumper and the T-bolt style bumper, and he also lists the stone deflector behind the bumper. You bumper looks like it has the deflector and the '63 styled extensions added to a '63 styled bumper (short) with '64 fenders. The V-Go Little Georgia Shaker that Hubert Platt drove had the short bumper.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:07 am 
1320lane

Hey, I just thought. I'm not using the front rear leaf spring mounts on my fairlane. Would you be able to adapt them to use on your car? They should be the same as your front rear leaf spring mounts in that they bolt to the car.

If you want them, I'll give them to you for just shipping costs.

Larry

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:12 am 
John64

Larry
the seats are from mid 60's (65) Econoline. Some say they are not correct lightweight seat, and to use Dodge A100 seats, but they look OK. The fenders, hood and front are Crites (and they needed LOTS of work to make them fit right, but that's another story!) The fenders are 64 and have the provisions for trim holes. I wanted to use the early T-bolt style front bumper, which requires cutting off the lower front fender section to mount the early style bumper. The early cars were built this way until they changed to an aluminum bumper. If you look at some of the T-bolt pics, you'll see some cars retrofitted with aluminum bumpers had no lower front fender and gravel panel. See the pics (pics are from the net or from someone posting them on a forum, not sure who the photographer was) Notice the front fenders, the one with lower section is a 2 piece and is removable.

Thnaks for the offer on the spring mounts. I have another spare set, but it won't work for my set-up. The factory rear sprinigs are 2", and the Econoline axle uses 2½" wide springs.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:42 pm 
1320lane

WOW!!

I've never seen those pics before, but I'd like for you to send me any that you have or send me the link where you found them. I don't know who took them, but I can tell you something about them and the event they were at.

The top pic is Phil Featherston's car with Phil driving. The pic was taken about noon on May 29, 2004. The guy in the green shirt in the background is named John and posts as Scrap Iron on the FordFE.com board. He's got a creamy white Comet with a Cammer. He also owns a wicked '64 Galaxie with a 385 series engine in it that runs mid 8's that's called RatPoison.

The second pic has Phil in the background talking to, I believe, Bob Fermier standing in front of Phils car.

The reason I know so much about the pics is that they were taken at the 2004 FordFE.com Spring Nostalgia Nationals in Noble, OK on Memorial Day weekend. I was the one that put the event on. We had 6 original T-bolts and 3 clones. We also had 9 Cammer Powered vehicles, one guy DROVE a '41 business coupe from California to the event. Mark Artis and the Texas Outsiders put on a cool Nostalgia Super Stock and Nostalgia Muscle Car show and we had two bracket classes.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:00 pm 
1320lane

Fixed some of my old pics, I guess Supermotors updated the links.

Anyways, I found a new pic of my car on a YouTube video montage.

Jerry was the 3rd owner of the car and this is 1970 AHRA Nationals in Oklahoma City. Jerry told me in 1967 the car held a national record.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 pm 
mygirls63

Aw, Larry, you had me excited there for a minute....thought you were track ready!

Any progress?

Post Fri May 17, 2013 9:55 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: