Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

1962 Hood Hinge?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
purf_man

1962 Hood Hinge?

I need some better hood hinges on my 62. when I lift the hood it binds a little and rubs on the cowl. when you close it it also doesn't stay flush (up a hair but easily will push down)

is my only option rebuilding the stock hinges or will a falcon or mustang hinge work? I have a spare set of stock ones off a parts car but I am not sure they are any better but do have a spare set if I have to rebuild. I am kicking around the idea of maybe some shoulder bolts with sleeves/bushings to replace the old rivets?

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:05 pm 
bluemower

I believe the hood hinges are available new - from the parts dealers.

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:39 pm 
roger

hinge choices

Ring Brothers make a really nice aftermarket hood hinge, bit pricey but look just beautiful, all alumiunum.
I'm thinking Santa may bring me a set, i;ve certainly been hinting enough,
if he comes through i would probably part with my stock ones.
But, if its just the rivets worn, which it soundsl ike they are,
isn;t it a pretty simple fix to redo em,
I know my buddies 64;s were shot & he had a body shop redo them for him & they work like new,

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:47 pm 
purf_man

so the one odd one I have has no spring on it. I sat down and looked at where the most slop was on it while working it and it was the short link. I might try the repo ones for the time being (I heard the mustang ones are kinda flimsy) I think I am still going to look into maybe fabbing up one steel bushed ones down the road.

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:44 pm 
roger

on the road

Purfman - you got that thing on the road yet,
Ever started that little mill up?
Dying to know what the thing sounds like

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 am 
purf_man

got a LONG ways to go still. Been fighting my EFI V8 s10 (got the bright idea to rewire the EFI and it is giving me some fits)

had to ditch the cable clutch conversion and went to a modern driveline hydraulic setup (which they now offer as a bolt in for the 62-65 cars) But with my hydroboost I am having to rework the mounting a little.

still need to do all my body work.

still need to get my fuel rail worked on.

still need to wire the motor up (debating just waiting until I get the rest of the car finished and only doing it once)

Still need to finish trimming back and filling the shock towers and firewall

BUT....

I might have a source for fiberglass 1962 stock hoods here in a couple more weeks....jjust finishing up the mold for the upper skin and lower should be done shortly after I get back from the 24 hours race in Daytona at the end of the month.

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:06 pm 
roger

brakes

What/which Hydroboost did you use?
Did u have to fab a monut for the Hydroboost?
what brakes are you running with that unit

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:57 pm 
purf_man

it is a sn95 mustang unit. I had to relocate it over and down to get a proper pushrod angle (and to help clear the shock tower)

I was planning on Cobra 13" brakes but have since changed my mind. Looking at a wilwood setup up front and will prob be explorer discs in the rear.

for the mount I cut off the front of the pedal hanger where it meets the firewall and fabed up a new single plate that would mate to the booster. I mocked it all up on the bench and then transfered it into the car.

the pushrod pin was flipped to the passengerside to allow me to slide the master out of the shock tower some. It still required a small notch (almost up to the spring) near the top of the tower. I think it should clear a short SBF shock tower.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:21 am 
roger

brakes

I;m running the Wilwoood 4 piston superlites, on the front & Curries version of the Explorer on the rear, with braided lines. I used a Mustang 11 booster with a 99 GT MC.
Stang booster is small enough to clear my valve covers, but only cause i'm using the Boss 302 style canted covers,(like 351 covers) gives me about 2" from cover to booster, if i used stock or aftermarket sm.block valve covers, they would have hit booster for sure, nice when things work out!
Brakes are simply awesome, took almost 36 ft, off 60 to 0 stops, You will love Wilwood stuff.
My only problem now is getting my old ride height back, (4"-5" lower than stock) With adjuster on coil overs cranked to low, my springs go into bind on any kind of good sized bump, if i crank adjusters up, about 2", no problem, but i can;t live with the front end up high look. Looks like dropped spindles may be necessary, another 5-600 bucks!

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:51 am 
purf_man

sounds like it is time for a shorter spring or a shorter overall shock (and spring)

kinda why I am tossing just stock stuff back on for now (other then the Dearborne drop coils) to see how the rideheight is with the turbo aussie motor all dressed out when I finally get it on the ground.

really need to get back on this car but just kinda burned out (and now I am thinking of askign for a transfer up to a job in the twin cities to go sort out a diesel generator issue that will take about a year to 18 months to solve. If I can find a body guy that wants to take on the car while I am gone it will make it real tempting.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: