Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:04 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Help!!! Front end problem

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ponyboy

Help!!! Front end problem

I just completely rebuilt the front suspension on my '64. Before I did, it had a few degrees negative camber, and there was no adjustment left. I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, sway bar bushings, and shocks. Now I have the opposite problem. I have positive camber, and there is not enough adjustment to adjust it right. It's adjusted as far to the negative side as it will go. This is the one where the camber and caster are adjusted with pinch bolts through the upper shaft, through elongated holes in the body/frame. I considered elongating the holes a little more, but I don't want to do something like that unless I absolutely have to. Am I missing something here? Thanks. Jerry.

Post Sat May 28, 2011 11:50 am 
beatnic

i have a 63, was wondering how much better it rides now, not sure if it thier the same but is thier an upgrade for shocks?

Post Sat May 28, 2011 6:57 pm 
roger

solution

The shop that set up my stock front end, when i had one, did elongate those holes, just messed em up horribly, without telling me they had to do it too, I think they;re explaination was they had to do it to set camber, if i recall
I would really send a e-mail to Bob Mannel, tech adviser for the early Fairlane at F'lane club of America, that is, if someone here doesn;t chime in with a solution

Post Sun May 29, 2011 12:20 pm 
ponyboy

Re: solution

quote:
Originally posted by roger:
The shop that set up my stock front end, when i had one, did elongate those holes, just messed em up horribly, without telling me they had to do it too, I think they;re explaination was they had to do it to set camber, if i recall
I would really send a e-mail to Bob Mannel, tech adviser for the early Fairlane at F'lane club of America, that is, if someone here doesn;t chime in with a solution

Ok, thanks, I'll wait on it. It's not that far off, but enough to wear off the outside edges of the tires after a while. But I definitely need to do something before I put new tires on it. If I have to elongate the holes, I will do it very carefully, with a hand file. I have the time, I have another car to drive, problem is, it's a Chevy.

As for the shocks, I got the cheap ones from Auto Zone. They seem to work ok. I got most of the other stuff from Mac's, but their shocks were super expensive. They may very well be better, but this is just a daily driver, and I got the cheapest ones I could find. Jerry.[/i]

Post Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 pm 
diegokid

Ponyboy

As far as Fords/Chevys go I have both. Although I love the 67 Flane and the 65 Cobra I can't pass up the chance to argue. My best Ford has never been as reliable as my worst Chevy. Razz

Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:54 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: