Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

RRS suspension
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
roger

RRS suspension

Before i take the plunge would like to hear from anyone using the RRS front suspension coil over phase # 1 kit & rack install.
Does it really deserve all the great reviews for ease of install & performance?
I;ve heard from one guy RRS put me in touch with that it blows away the standard Mustang 11 set up.

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:40 am 
torino420

I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger on the manual rack for my 69. Lots of bucks but sure sounds like it will be a night and day difference between it and the stock setup. It may clear my headers but as long as i dont ding up the rack they say i can return it if it doesn't clear. They really want to know if it will work with my particular setup (351w with FPA headers).

The strut setup would be nice too but that will have to wait. I did notice the phase one kit dropped to 2650.

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:13 am 
1320lane

Roger, there's a guy on the StangNet Classics board that posts as ReenMachine. He has a sticky up top on a car he's doing. He's a former Jet Propulsion Labratory employee (engineer I think) and has started a new company in Flagstaff, AZ. He also has a website, but I digress. He's installed just about every front and rear suspension and steering from any company out there in Mustangs. He's pretty sharp and has great attention to detail and isn't a BS'er. He really likes the RRS suspension, but I know a lot of people complain about the price, but since it's a bolt in, I think after doing a MII install, you'd have about the same amount of $$ in it, plus all the tear down and fabrication time involved. I think you can install the RSS struts and R&P in a weekend, maybe a day.

Larry

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:26 am 
Lawdog

can you post a link?

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:40 pm 
1320lane

Here's a link to the '67 Mustang 'vert he's doing, I think it has a 4.6 in it, so he had to do a MII in it as I recall, but you can contact him there or search the forum. I never seem to do a very good job searching any forum as I guess I just don't know how to search.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=536634

Larry

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:46 pm 
LiLMike

Ok Guys, here is what I found. http://www.fatmanfab.com/06page19.htm I was looking at the RRS system till I ran across the Fatman Fab Kit. I talked to the guy at Carlisle last month and is a super nice guy. Knows his stuff too! This price blows away RRS and for price of an RRS suspension, you get the suspension, disc brakes, rack & pinion steering. Plus, the replacement parts can be had at just about any parts store. Do your homework and compair prices before you purchase something. I'm saving my pennies for the Fatman Kit.

Mike

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1320lane

I dunno, I think you're comparing apples to oranges. The RRS kit is all new stuff, if you get to pricing all new stuff with the Fatman kit, I bet you're within a couple hundred dollars if not even, and there's tracking all the stuff down and trying to get the best deal on it as well. The nice thing about RRS is, you get it all from one place and their stuff is independant of one another, meaning you can put their struts on and use your old steering, or you can use your old suspension and use their steering, so you can also spread out the costs between the two systems over a year or so if you want both, whereas with the Fatman sysen, you HAVE to install both. And Fatmans R&P crossmember and lower control arms look spindley and I understand that you have to brace the crossmember as it flexes. Steering components shouldn't flex in my book. I just don't see $2000 worth of parts there. Yeah, I know, you're paying for the engineering.

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:39 pm 
LiLMike

You're only talking about $300-$500 dollars in parts. Figure $2500 total for the complete suspension, disc brakes AND rack & pinion steering while that same RRS setup will cost twice that. Add it up! Plus, with the RRS system, you have to modify the steering wheel where Fatman supplies one and it is a tilt wheel to boot! Just my opinion. We all have our preferences. Either way, we still love to talk about our Fairlanes which is the important thing! Smile

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1320lane

I have added it all up, which is why I said that it'd probably be close to $1000. And it is just my opinion, sometimes you have to look beyond the dollar amount to see exactly what your getting. Yes, the FastForward Fastback that Rad Rods by Troy used it, but it was probably offered for free. Reen said he didn't care so much for it and he's selling $75k and $80k modified cars so I kinda take his word for it.

I don't undertand why Fatman supplies a GM steering column for a Ford kit though, it doesn't say if there is a connector to adapt to the GM wiring or do you have to figure all that out for yourself? As far as I know, the modification to the steering shaft on the RRS kit is the only modification you have to do, everything else just bolt up to existing holes, I think you have to drill holes for the Fatman kit for the crossmember.

It doesn't matter to me, I can't use it on my '63 as it wouldn't be class legal and my '65 Mustang will be going pretty close to stock, but with Opentracker's roller bearing mods, so I won't be using either setup.

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:28 pm 
la8ron

You have to remember that RRS is an Australian owned company, so when the excange rate changes so will the price of the system you want to purchase. You also have to consider if you wish to use new parts or second hand. For me personally I would go for the RRS set up due to the cost plus I have read a few items in a couple of local magazines that have installed and recomend the RRS setup. That and a company that has a fairlane on their main page can't be all that bad (not treating us fairlane owners as second class citizens).

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:28 pm 
roger

systems

I thought Fatman only made the mustang 11 set up, knew they were R&D'ing a coil over set up but have never seen it.
Is it new on their site?
I talked to a guy in N.y. who installed the RRS system , he;s admittedly no gearhead & did the install himself on a 4-door 63 & says the difference is like night & day.
Tony from RRS is visiting Toronto so we are hooking up & hopefully i can talk him into letting me do a "how to" for The Fairlaner,maybe save a few bucks ,the whole kit is hella expensive for sure.
by the way ,there is a page at RRS that tells you what headers fit with their rack, so far my full length hookers aren;t listed so that might be another expense.
The RRS kit is very well eginneered,but, i;m thinking 5K by the time your done.
There is a Torino using a Mustang 11 kit at my track (road course) & he;s having problems with the weight of the mill on the crossmember, as in twisting. thats one advantage i see with the RRS kit, the engine weight is where it should be, distributed on those shock towers.

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:16 am 
LiLMike

Yes Roger, the Fatman setup is new. It is a bolt-in like RRS but using parts available at a local parts store. With the complete system you get rack & pinion steering plus the coil over & disc brakes. I talked to the Fatman guy and he said he will be offering his setup as a kit and as indivudal parts so one could do what they want to do without buying the whole thing.

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:11 am 
roger

fatman

the tech i talked to said its only for an early mustang & they aren;t sure it would fit an early f;lane at all.

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:31 am 
torino420

I seen an article on the Fatman install and the crossmember for the rack is huge, header clearance very well may be an issue.
I ordered the RRS manual rack yesterday, cant wait to try it out.

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:23 pm 
roger

rack

please let us know how the install & how it drives with the new rack.
I really cannot find any kit out there that even compares to the RRS stuff.
Tony, From RRS is coming to my neighbourhood soon, i;m going to take him out on the town & see what kind of deal we Canadians can get!!

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:15 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: