Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:47 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

62 New Dash Pad Installation

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
62 4-Door

62 New Dash Pad Installation

I'm new to the Fairlane models and I recently bought a 62 with a 351 4 speed.

My question is about installing a new dash pad. Are they glued in or just laid into place and held in by the trim? Is this something I could tackle myself or should I leave it up to a shop?

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm 
Canus

62 Dash Pad

I've never seen a 62 with a dash pad. Plain painted steel. If your car has a padded dash it was done by the previous owner NOT by the factory.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:39 pm 
Bill62

Mine also is painted

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:45 am 
roger

Sport Coupe padded dashes

All sport Coupes came with a factory padded dash, you can buy new replacements from Just Dashes or cheaper from Dennis Carpenter
I removed mine from my 62 F;lsne S.C. & believe me they are glued in, so much so i couldn;t save the old dash!
If you belong to the Fairlane Club of america, there is a whole How to in a back issue that you can download at our site
If your not a member, you should be, but, let me know & i can send to you

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:37 pm 
62 4-Door

Roger,
Thanks for the reply sir and I seriously know what you mean about getting the old one off. Took me two weeks but I got it.

I've seen pics of a Sports Coupe without the dash pad but with the chrome trim installed and personally I don't think it looks right. There are big gaps where the pad is supposed to be.

I'm currently not a member of the club but I will for sure look into it. Could you please send it to me @ jeffg24ever@yahoo.com. Thanks again sir.

Ken

Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:08 pm 
62 4-Door

Thanks to all for the replys.

Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm 
roger

das pad

I;m off to Alberta for 12 days, but, i will look up the archives & see if i can forward to you.
The trim doesn;t look right without the pad, there is a huge gap to recieve the edge of the pad, as you can see.
When i took the factory pad offf my 63 S.C. i did keep all that edge trim, stuff is hard to find!
I know the guy who wrote the article reccomends you take the windshield out to install it properly,at the front edge.
Other than pulling the windshield, looked pretty straight forward
Have you got a dash pad?
I posted looking for one before i bit the bullet & pay, what, around $250-300 i think Carpenter wants or Dearborn classics
I know the just Dashes pad is like, $100 bucks more

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:37 am 
62 4-Door

Roger,
If you could locate it, it would be alot of help. I bit the bullet too and bought one from Mac's Antique Auto Parts out of New york. I figued the cost to fill in the trim holes would almost cost me as much as a dash pad so I just bought one. You're very much correct about the goofy looking gaps without the pad.

Thanks again and enjoy your trip.

Ken

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:55 pm 
roger

scan or send

I;m not sure if i can lift the article from the club archives & attach it to send to you, will give it a try today
Worst thing that could happen - i have to print it & either scan or mail to you
stand by

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:28 pm 
62 4-Door

Dash Pad

Roger,
Any luck on the dash pad install file? Still waiting on my dash pad from Mack's. It was supposed to be a 1 to 2 week backorder and we are at week 5. The run around from Mack's is getting very old. Last week I was told all parts were in and would be shipped in 24 to 48 hours. Confused

Post Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 pm 
62 4-Door

Got the new dash pad installed and it's really easy. It came with instructions that were easy to understand and it fits perfect. I just need to trim bottom edge around dash openings. Exspensive but well worth the money.

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:28 pm 
roger

dash install

Glad it went well, tell me, did you have to pull the windshield to install, i was re-reading the article in Fairlaner that i scanned for you(sorry took so long!) & the article mentions you have to pull the windshield but i can;t see why & i really don;t want to! So, the fit was ok? Mac's price is/was around $350.00?? Did it come in color choices? & lastly, what did you use to fasten the trim around the edge, i have some of the original wonky little wire fastners, but, i;d like to come up with a better method of holding trim on than those things, unless they really work
Thanks

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:01 am 
62 4-Door

The instructions didn't say to take out the windshield and they are very specific about not using glue. It just sets in place and is held in by the trim pieces. ie. the gauge cluster, radio and heater trim, windshield trim and the small strips of trim. You install the small strips of trim and then trim the excess from the bottom edge. I carefully used a razor knife to do this.

Before triming and installing the trim though, I left it just setting in place for a few days in my HOT garage. It settled in and formed to the dash real well.

Yes, you use the original trim clips. It says to use a scribe to poke holes through the pad to install them. Not as easy as it sounds either. Good luck..

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 pm 
62 4-Door

Sorry Roger, I missed a couple of your questions. Comes in black only but states that it can be painted.

The pad was $299.00 plus shipping. I took about 6 weeks or so to get it.

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: