Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Parts needed to switch 64 from a Automatic to 4 speed

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
64 Thunderbolt

Parts needed to switch 64 from a Automatic to 4 speed

What all parts are needed to switch a 64 Fairlane from an Automatic on the column to a 4 speed on the floor?
Will 64 Galaxie parts work?
What all has to be done to the firewall?

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:33 pm 
351bolt

Pedal asembly, clutch linkage, transmission, 4spd shifter hump in the floor, driveline.

Only thing that will crossover from the galaxie will be the tranny, matched to motor, small block and big block had different shafts. Linkage might cross over, but not sure.

Trans crossmember is the same, Hipo cars had a 4spd, so nothing should need to be done to the firewall.

Pete

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:07 am 
64 Thunderbolt

So do's anybody know what cars will interchange so that I can be looking? I can get the crossmember from Crites so I'm not worried about that. As far as the trans I'll have that as well.basically what I need is from the pedals to the bell housing.

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 pm 
GerryProctor

Pedals come on the bidding market all the time. That shouldn't be a great barrier to your project. 1st gen Fairlane is unique and you will not be able to interchange for pedals from another car line. You can also buy a clutch pedal assembly from Wilwood. Not factory and you'd have to fit it but if you are determined to do this, you have a solution.

Bellhousings are common with smallblocks, but you would be looking for a five-bolt bell if you have the original engine. Not quite as common as six-bolt housings. You also run into trans difficulties since the bolt pattern changed after '65. So you need a bell that fits your engine and a trans that fits your bell. The difference between big and smallblock transmissions is just a matter of a 5/8" difference in pilot length. Not difficult to overcome by either trimming a bigblock input at the pilot or getting a step pilot bushing if you are trying to fit a bigblock trans to a smallblock. You also have a matter of tailshaft length and shifter location. You might want to visit http://www.4speedtoploaders.com to understand the variety. And if this was the correct trans for the application, it would likley be a BW and not a toploader. But the info is relevant nonetheless.

Nothing has to be done to the firewall other than knocking out the clutch pushrod hole in the firewall. Probably goes without saying if you understand mechanical clutch linkage, but you'll need more than just pedals. You need the rods, the bellcrank, the pivot points, springs, and other small hardware. Much of this stuff is available in the aftermarket and some you can make.

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:54 pm 
64 Thunderbolt

Gerry , Thank you for your help here. What I might do is post in the "wanted" section.
I'm building a Thunderbolt clone so I will be using an FE block. I'll start looking in my books for the small stuff.
Where could I find a diagram of this? I meant to ask this before & forgot. This might help me the most.

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:31 pm 
64_347Fairlane

What is the differnce in the hump in the floor. I have a 3 on the tree car and want to put a 4 speed toploader in it. Do I have to do something with the hump?

Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:47 pm 
GerryProctor

You need a shop manual to fully understand the linkage assembly but most of it you can figure out without a book.

To the question on the floor hump...depends upon what you're trying to do. If you want it to look completely factory, then you will need a manual trans floor shift hump, which you can buy from Crites or fabricate your own. If you're just trying to get the thing working, then you can do well with not much more than just a big Hurst boot. You don't have to do anything to make it work, it's just a matter of looks.

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:52 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: