Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

stalled on my '64 since June of '10

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
karkev

stalled on my '64 since June of '10

I started to tear down my '64 for a front end rebuild back about May of '10. Not long after I had some marriage troubles that eventually led to me filing for a divorce that ended a marriage of 22 years. Long story short, here's how my Fairlane looks today.

I have a polygraphite front end kit waiting to be installed as well as new door rubbers, new headliner, new heater core, 1965 Galaxie 15 inch steel rims, 1956 Ford dog dish caps, 1959 Ford dog dish caps and the original '64 flipper dog dish caps + who knows what else parts stashed away.

I just can't seem to get back to working on the thing. I fire it up once or twice a month but just can't seem to pick my wrenches back up. Have you ever just stalled on your Fairlane?
(daughter's car)

Mauser & Gew88 collector.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 pm 
thefairlaneman

You arent alone. I have stopped progress on my 64 several times. It helps to jump around from item to item. If you get bored sanding down the old paint stop and work on the brakes. Then maybe remove the seats and start on the interior floor. Its not how soon you can finish the car but how much you look forward to and enjoy the times you work on it. Even if you NEVER get the car where you want it to be its still worth your time..good luck Post pictures and ask for help about things you dont know and I and others will be hanging around and try to help.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:31 pm 
dave s

Stalled

I'm the same, I started removing trim around the w/s to fix a leak, it's still that way,
took one of the Welds off (want to go back to steel wheels) the car is still there with one odd wheel I took off my 54 and the 54 has one Weld wheel on it
brought home some new steel wheels Fri. morning, they're still in the back of the truck,didn't even look at them yet. meanwhile the cars are sitting there in a heated garage doing dick!
Something has to light a fire under my butt also,Spring is coming.
dave s

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:33 pm 
SD44

Look at my avatar. I went the same route you did, got started on this white 66' in 2008, and out of the blue divorce came. It has been sitting in my garage just like that for almost 3 years now. Hang in there, don't sell it, and you'll be in a position to get started back up again before you know it.

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:01 pm 
kratester

I don't know what it is, but I find I have my most productive garage time during March and April. Perhaps that will be your case too!

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 am 
karkev

kratester, thanks!

well, I got out today and trial fitted a few pieces. I bolted down the upper A-arm but got to reading the shop manual and realized it has to be loose to re-install the coil springs but I had fun messing with the old girl. I fired it up twice and let the engine get up to operating temp both times. maybe this thread can be like a support group for those of us who are stalled???

SD44, dave s, thefairlaneman, let's make some progress on our Fairlanes Very Happy !
(daughter's car)

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:17 pm 
iowafordman

There's no therapy like wrenching on your hot rod. Driving it after a long winter is even better. No matter what may be going on in your life, it all seems to go away for a while when you back out of the garage. A divorce is a tough situation, but at least you were able to keep your car. Some guys lose everything. Get it back on the road and enjoy a fresh start with it. Browsing through catalogs or magazines and making a wish list is a great fix if your motivation has stalled.

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:15 pm 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by iowafordman:
There's no therapy like wrenching on your hot rod. Driving it after a long winter is even better. No matter what may be going on in your life, it all seems to go away for a while when you back out of the garage. A divorce is a tough situation, but at least you were able to keep your car. Some guys lose everything. Get it back on the road and enjoy a fresh start with it. Browsing through catalogs or magazines and making a wish list is a great fix if your motivation has stalled.

Wanna talk about a guy kicking himself.....dad had a 57 T-Bird in the late 60's, and sold it for $800 when he divorced his first wife and had to pay her. Obviously now he wished he'd scrapped, borrowed, stole, etc to come up with that $800 back then and kept that car. Hindsight... Sad

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 pm 
iowafordman

When I left my divorce attorney's office and found out I got to keep my '66 fairlane AND my '68 mustang, I couldn't believe it. Didn't think I would make it out to the car without jumping up and down and yelling a big "Woohoo"! I'm sure this topic could fill and entire post by itself!

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 pm 
karkev

a year after I tore it apart the driver's side of my '64 Fairlane has new upper/lower ball joints, new upper/lower A-arm bushings, new upper inner shaft and a new brake line.

the passenger side is untouched but I'll be getting to it soon and you can bet it won't take me ten months lol Laughing !
(daughter's car)

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:36 pm 
karkev

kind of playing with hubcap ideas now:

the black rims are 1966 Galaxie 15 inchers and the red ones are the original 1964 Fairlane 14 inchers. the flipper bar caps came with the car originally and the others are 1959 Ford.
(daughter's car)

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:52 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: