Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

American Pickers

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Finally 1

American Pickers

Did anyone else see the episode last night where they bought a 67 Gt . They had to have some work done and the guy installed a new brake ,clutch and fuel system plus got it running and charged them 4000 . I think they need a new mechanic . They had it appraise it was set at 14,000 and the car was rusty ,interior was in bad shape and tires were junk .

Last edited by Finally 1 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:36 am 
roger

I want that appriasers phone #

Yes, been sitting since 1970, goood find for sure, but 4K for brakes & a clutch?
I'm going to use that apppraiser when i get mine re-appraised!

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:21 pm 
thefairlaneman

I saw the show and I cant believe they bought the car and didnt even inspect it for rust and engine operation. The engine was not correct either, Top buck for a 67 GT in excellent condition according to my 2007 collector car price guide is 16k. They will lose big time trying to get the car in that shape and the guy who said its worth 14 as it is must be smoking something..no friggin way body work can be at least 5 or 6 k more and an engine rebuild 4 or 5 ore and the interior can be 4 or 5 more and that doesnt even include the front end and worn suspension which any car like that will need. They will need to have about 30 k in it to demand the top book price in my opinion. They are already up side down on it ..am I wrong I also notice the hood wasnt correct because of the paint miss match which means there is a good chance the car has been wrecked. It is a 67 also which isnt worth what a 66 is and I know now these pickers dont know fairlanes and the show is fake. anyone who would give 14 is crazy.

Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:20 pm 
knavekid

After reading this I downloaded and watched that episode. In my opinion, the only ones who made out on that deal was the old guy who sold it and the mechanic who repaired it.

Listening carefully, it sounds like the mechanic included the following:

-- Brakes, including master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and brake lines
-- Fuel system, likely includes fuel pump, fuel line (probable if brake lines needed replacement), carburetor rebuild
-- Clutch system
-- Exhaust system

Looking under the hood, the distributor cap, plug wires, coolant hoses, and power brake unit all look new.

Screen capture:

Not mentioned but likely also included would be belts, spark plugs, coolant flush and replacement, oil system flush and new oil. Perhaps brake drums and front wheel bearings were also replaced.

I can believe that all these things could run $4K at full retail.

I would be concerned that the underside has a lot of rust if the brake lines needed replacement.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:53 pm 
thefairlaneman

The old guy knew 7k was top buck .The gas tank may have been bad also. To make that car decent its going to take thousands more. It needs a complete frame off sandblasting too....I dont see how this car will ever return the investment it will take..I think the picker guy doesnt know much about muscle car restorations and is just a flipper.

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:02 pm 
Finally 1

I was surprised when the ole guy said it was the original color and they didnt even ask about the underside of the hood being a different color . I really like the show and enjoy seeing some of the history these guys come across and really liked the one where they sold the circus banners for 10k and turned around and gave the guy 5k back which half of what they sold them for .

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:25 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: