Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:45 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

406 or what is it?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mots-a

406 or what is it?

Howdy folks - Been a long time.

I have a FE i am getting ready to sell I got it from a guy some years back, he told me it was a 406. When I looked at the motor and checked the numbers for the block in my casting # books all i could find that it was a 390, the heads according to the book are 390hp heads.

when i got the motor to my shop and messured the bore I kept coming up with 413, so i figured it was a bored out 390 to make a 406 with the 378 crank.

I sent the block to my machine shop to have it cleaned and checked. My machinest told me today that this is a virgin Bore 406 block.?

The Casting number is C3AE - H.

There is no oil relief hole in the back of the block, its not a solid lifter block and it has no cross bolts in it.

there is no 352 on the front of block

it has a 390 crank, the pistons have the standerd markings on them. the rods and main caps have a C2AE casting.

Everything adds up to be a 406 but what is it?

I can send pictures of anything you want to see.

Is this a over the counter 406?

Thanks
Tom

Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
GerryProctor

It's a 390 block punched out .080 to get to that 4.13" bore.

406 blocks have a specific casting code that begin C4AE but no "H" suffix (J, K, V and others, but no H). There would also probably, but not always, be an HP cast by the block casting number. Could also be in the lifter valley near the back or in the main bearing bulkhead.

Only later 406 blocks had the crossbolts.

The evidence trail points to a 390 but you can always Google it and see what you get. Your machinist may not be the expert on FE engines unless the shop is Gessford Machine out of Hastings, Neb.

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:29 pm 
jmgford

quote:
Originally posted by GerryProctor:
It's a 390 block punched out .080 to get to that 4.13" bore.

406 blocks have a specific casting code that begin C4AE but no "H" suffix (J, K, V and others, but no H). There would also probably, but not always, be an HP cast by the block casting number. Could also be in the lifter valley near the back or in the main bearing bulkhead.

Only later 406 blocks had the crossbolts.

The evidence trail points to a 390 but you can always Google it and see what you get. Your machinist may not be the expert on FE engines unless the shop is Gessford Machine out of Hastings, Neb.

Gerry, maybe thats just a typo, but the 406 was a '62-'63 engine and couldn't have a C4 part number. As far as i know, all 406 blocks are either C2AE or C3AE numbers.

Post Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: