Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:30 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Just an observation

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
69supercj

Just an observation

Was thumbing through the threads and noticed several that hadn't gotten any responses even though they had lots of views. In fact one of the posters even noted how few responses. I've also noticed this. So I decided to do a little counting. Just in this section alone, on page one there were 182 replies and roughly 14,000 views. Hard to get much help when folks wont reply to your questions. Just an observation.

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:16 pm 
mygirls63

Do you want the blunt truth?

As much as this will piss people off, there are several reasons for this.

For one thing, alot of people are busy with life and work during these tough times. We don't have alot of time left to spend here.

And sometimes people ask the same questions that have been answered several times already. That is what the search feature is for.

Plus there are a couple of people who want things handed to them or done for them. They have no real desire to learn for themselves, or put the effort into the process of learning.

Finally, there are a few people who will get into a thread where the OP has received good advice, and those few people will argue with what was stated. Thus many people have grown weary of this type of attitude and choose to stay quiet.

Sorry in advance to those who will become butt-hurt by these simple truths.

So.....Be careful what you ask, you may not like the answer! LOL

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:11 pm 
Scott66gta

I try to...

answer questions when I can provide usable information that i know is correct. I do not want to mislead and give false information on subjects. Sometimes it frustrates me when I give answers or advice and the OP does not adknowledge the help or give thanks, or let us know how it went.. I think that they post their issues here as well as other forums. I try to keep this forum going, as I've been here since Woody ran it in the early part of the decade. A lot of the original participants are gone. A few newer guys really give a lot of answers... Some posters ask questions in broken english, mispelled words, or use no punctuation (or even try to use any at all). Posts like this I won't even look at. It gives me a headache...

well, off of my soapbox...

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
mygirls63

I agree with Scott66GTA as well.

If you give bad advice and the OP follows it spending alot of hard earned cash and something blows up on him, is the person giving the bad advice going to make it right?

That is why it is better not to answer if you aren't absolutely sure what you are talking about.

Some of the advice I see bantered about on several forums about brake swaps & engine building makes me cringe.

As Scott said, if you have multiple posts at multiple forums, and you get it figured out, why not say thanks guys, got it going again or something along those lines?

And don't get me going about people who make posts like texts messages or twitter posts.

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 pm 
fairlaniac

I agee...

I agree with mygirls63 & scott66gta so I won't waste the space saying the same. Maybe an idea when postign a response that you are not sure about would be to start off by "I think......" or something to that effect? I too hate it when you answer a post with what you know ans someone has to bash you if you had something wrong. Why not just add to the post and not berate anyone? I'd sooner read a post of 100 opinions of the floor mat material than read one post of someone telling that you are wrong. An example would be..."My experience has been or my opinion is.... not "hey dumbass....." If everyone were to get a bit more friendly I think the posting numbers would jump.

Too bad there isn't a feature when searching old posts that you could request the post to come to the top of the list? Or maybe if someone did find an old post that had some iformation they were looking for they should just add a simple post like "This post is interesting to me" then it will jump to the top of the list.

Thansk,

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:04 am 
mygirls63

Re: I agee...

quote:
Originally posted by fairlaniac:
I agree with mygirls63 & scott66gta so I won't waste the space saying the same. Maybe an idea when postign a response that you are not sure about would be to start off by "I think......" or something to that effect? I too hate it when you answer a post with what you know ans someone has to bash you if you had something wrong. Why not just add to the post and not berate anyone? I'd sooner read a post of 100 opinions of the floor mat material than read one post of someone telling that you are wrong. An example would be..."My experience has been or my opinion is.... not "hey dumbass....." If everyone were to get a bit more friendly I think the posting numbers would jump.

Too bad there isn't a feature when searching old posts that you could request the post to come to the top of the list? Or maybe if someone did find an old post that had some iformation they were looking for they should just add a simple post like "This post is interesting to me" then it will jump to the top of the list.

Thansk,

Very well said.
We need to make the more common questions and answers stickies. Maybe that would help too.

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:08 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: