Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Modifications

carb to EFI

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
roger

carb to EFI

Taking the plunge to EFI
Retroteks Projection 111 won the best new product at SEMA last yr, so i ordered the complete kit with braided fuel line option
Pretty cool looking unit that resembles a big Holley Carb!
The "brains" are built into the side of it so minumum of wires to run.
The compatible distro talks to the unit & its self learning as you take that first drive
But, depending on your capabilites you can alter fuel maps & so on once your EFI friendly.
If i ever get the F;lane back from the shop i'll be doing the install once the new motor is broken in.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:49 am 
dsfdlish

did mine myself w a donor car, its time consuming but not impossible....

Post Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 am 
roger

Looks factory

Looks good in there too,
I wanted to avoid tracing all the wiring or buying a made for the swap harness.
Don;t like wiring much!
One of the main reasons i went for the Retrotek set up, 2 wires to run

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:51 am 
dsfdlish

I could start retro fitting stock harnesses for an idiot proof install for people... for a price of course Smile

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:44 am 
roger

good idea

I think there is a market for a simplified EFI harness, the ones i;ve seen are big $$$

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 am 
dsfdlish

if you arent running ac or emission controls I could re-work a stock one for you.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 am 
roger

A/C

Running a/c but thanks
I have a wiring harness from Mad electrical

Post Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:15 am 
dsfdlish

also I just installed my BC broncos Fuel accumulator, WOW!!! no more misses under half a tank of gas!

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:37 pm 
Finally 1

Ford Motorsports made a harness at one time. There were 16 wires in which you had to hard wire in and some of them was for factory gauges and charging system . I did a early 80's car and it had its own charging system and I used aftermarket gauges so it cut it down to 8 wires . It also gave a part number for better relays for the eec and fuel pump as well . I bought it at the dealer 15 years back for 325.00 and was very happy . The instructions told everything that was needed and where every thing went .

Post Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:22 am 
ponyboy

Wow. Just couldn't help but laugh when I saw this. The main reason I own a '64 Fairlane, and a '72 Pinto Squire wagon, is to AVOID any type of electronics or emissions crap. I love vintage cars, and the main reason I love them (besides the way they look) is their simplicity. I also love carburetors. I started working on them when I was a kid, and learned about everything there is to know, which isn't much, compared to EFI.

A bit off topic, but I bought a '93 Chevy S10 pickup about a year ago, with a TBI injected 4.3. I ripped everything out, and put in a 383 four barrel, with headers and a true dual exhaust with glasspacks and no cat cons.

I was at the Chevy dealer getting some parts a while back, and was watching the ads on a big screen TV they had on the wall. GM is now selling an EFI crate engine, small block, with the intention of it being used in classic cars. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 pm 
purf_man

nothing sacred?

I am putting EFI in my Fairlane along with power steering and power disc brakes. I want a car I can drive daily in modern traffic. Same reason I yanked the non-syncro'd 3 speed for a 5 speed.

I have a V8 S10 too....mine is a 350 with EFI....ac works, cruise and ABS even. Drives just like the 4.3L did with a bunch more power.

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 am 
roger

Accumulator

DSfish: Bronco fuel accumulator?
I;m assuming this is a way to store fuel after the pump, this to avoid any starvation issues, on accel.or cornering?
Can you tell me briefly, is the accumulator like the one of f series trucks & how did you plumb it, as you can tell I;m EFI challeneged!

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:54 am 
roger

inline vs. intank fuel pumps

Old post I know, but updating anyway, I;ve been checking into all these new EFI kits, & I;m talking about any of these new, self learning all included kits from the likes of Fast, Holley, Projection 111,etc. the only issues that seems to keep coming up is, Fuel delivery. Most, if not all have a frame mounted fuel pump & this seems to be the kits "Achilles heel". There is a reason all the OEM;s use intank pumps so I asked a few of their Tech. line guys outright - If you were installing one of your EFI kits, what would you use for fuel source & all of them, some whispering into the phone said -" Put an No thanks beside the box that says- Inline fuel pump & buy an intank pump with a return line"!
So, we picked up the much acclaimed Aeromotive Phantom 340 which Car Craft & Popular Hot Rodding claimed - This is the best retro fit EFI fuel pump we have ever installed, which is good enough for me! The beauty of the Phantom 340 is you don't have to buy a new, expensive fuel tank or fuel cell as it fits into any factory tank from 12" down to 5.5" deep.
Fuel delivery solved!

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:36 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: