Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Cutting front coil springs on '62 . . .

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
glassparman

Cutting front coil springs on '62 . . .

Has anyone cut their front coil springs? Just curious without looking, which end I can cut from.

It is hard to tell without pulling them out if they are Tangential or not.

Also, if I can cut, and I cut one turn, how much do you think it will drop the front end?

Last question, will it make it hard to allign? Not sure what happens to the geometry with one turn removed.

thanks in advance,
Michael

Post Tue May 04, 2010 1:27 pm 
Arky

One of the companies offer shorter springs for fairlanes. cannot remember which one.

Post Thu May 06, 2010 9:12 pm 
dapirate

If you wanted to purchase some springs these guys show a listing from Stock - 3" drop.

Might wanna give them a call

http://www.jamcosuspension.com/products/sfID1/73/39&sfID3/6/sfID2/39/sfID3/6/productID/664

Post Fri May 07, 2010 7:12 am 
dapirate

also found this on this link

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/62-fairlane-1-1-5-lower-without-major-mods-109992.html

Eaton Detroit Spring can make you some. Mike is a great guy.

I do lots of 62-65 Fairlanes, almost a specialty, I guess. As you know their front and rear suspensions are unique from all other Fords. While you're there, do the Granada disc brake upgrade. It takes a little extra know how, if you need help PM me, I have done several in the past 25 years.

Cutting 1/2 coil when it is removed is fine. Cut with a hot torch is fine too. Only about 1/2 inch of the metal gets hot. Cut the bottom end.

NOTE..... when you cut an used 62-65 Fairlane coil, first you must mark the outside of the coil with tape (towards the ball joint) on each spring. When removed, the used spring will have a definite curvature to it. You must not reverse the curvature on installation, that means do the side to side swap.

After cutting the coil, you MUST install the left spring in the right side, and vice versa. The lower end must fit in the spring pocket correctly. The way that the upper A frame is made without a pivoting spring cradle pivot makes the switch MANDATORY.. if you don't switch you have a 50/50 chance of the spring breaking because it is curving the opposite direction. Tape must face outward, it is marking the spring curvature.

Also never lower the Fairlane more than if the lower control arm is parallel to the ground. If you do, bottoming will be horrible, and geometry is funky.

Go for the 1" (15/16) 70's Granada anti-roll bar for $ 20 from the junk yard. Makes a BIG difference.

Do NOT under any circumstances put POSITIVE CASTER on the front end alignment. If you do it will drive squirrley. Stick to the factory specs with 1/16 total toe-in with radial tires.

Post Fri May 07, 2010 7:19 am 
glassparman

dapirate,
Thanks for all the good info. I might try your cutting method as i'm fairly savy at fabrication.

I'm going to print this out and post it to my forehead to make sure I follow it to the T.

I really only want the front down about 1-2 inches.

Michael

Post Fri May 07, 2010 8:58 am 
dapirate

It's not my cutting method, I just found the link, lol

I cant cut anything, my wife cuts up my steak for me Laughing

Post Fri May 07, 2010 12:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: