Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

66 Comet, C6 to 4 speed swap using galaxy trans

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
optika1illushun

66 Comet, C6 to 4 speed swap using galaxy trans

Have a line on a top loader 4 speed (trans, bell housing, clutch, pressure plate, etc) from a 64 galaxy. would this work in my 66 comet 202, the comet is currently a C6 car with a hurst promatic floor shifter. i figure id need the pedal assembly, z bar and obviously the trans n stuff.

is that everything i would need? and will the trans even work for my comet?

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 pm 
RIFF RAFFORD

Opti...
Sorry to say that transplanting a 64 Galaxie Toploader in your 66 Comet would not be worth the effort. Without writing a "Book" on it here, I'll just make a few (Most MAJOR) points about why it's better to search for a more "Correct" Trans for your car.
You would have to aquire all the model specific parts for your car...IE: pedals, shifter, shift hump for the shifter, Z bar, brakets, transmission cross member,Speedo cable, driveshaft, Etc. That's the MINIMUM of what you need for the swap no matter what transmission you intend to use.
Choosing the "Right" trans will make or break the whole swap deal. The 64 Galaxie trans differs from a 66 Comet/Fairlane in these respects....The Galaxie trans is LONGER, Uses a Differant Bellhousing bolt pattern, has a Differant Tailshaft, and therefore has a Completely differant shifter mounting location than the Trans's used in the Comets/Fairlanes.
I figured I'd fill you in on this now, before you spent any $$ on a trans that is likely not going to be of any use to you....at least without some serious swapping of parts and modification to include fabrication. Not to say you couldn't make it "Work"...just to say that it would be Soooo much easier (and cost effective) to just get the correct 4 speed trans for your car, and do the swap as if it was a factory install....(bellhousing and tailshaft are the two main issues)....just my opinion.
Riff.

67 RANCHERO XL 289 C4
68 TORINO GT CONV (INDY PACE CAR) 390 C6
69 COBRA FASTBACK "R" CODE C6
AND OTHERS...

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:14 am 
optika1illushun

thats a bummer, thanx for the info. ill tell the fella ill pass on the deal.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: