Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

1965 "2" Code Transmission . . .

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
glassparman

1965 "2" Code Transmission . . .

OK, I just picked up a 1965 Sports Coupe and the ID plate says that the transmission is a 2 code or "overdrive".

It appears to be a manual trans with the shifter on the column.

Exactly what transmission is the "overdrive"? I have not been able to get to the codes on the tranny because I don't have the car home yet.

thanks in advance,

Michael

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 pm 
bluemower

Fairlanes used the T-86 3 speed manual for their overdrive models. With the overdrive option, the regular tail shaft was deleted and the overdrive was added. This is actually a 4th gear.

To verify you have this transmission, look under the car. There will be a solenoid on the left side of the transmission. The solenoid is about the size of a heater fan motor. The governor is slightly smaller and is located on the right side of the tail shaft. Under the hood, you will find a relay mounted on the firewall. A kickdown switch is located on the throttle bellcrank. There should be an overdrive control cable located under the dash.

Normally, you will drive around town with the overdrive cable pulled out. This gives you a normal 3 speed manual drive.

Take the car out on the highway - say 55mph. Push the overdrive control forward. Let off the gas pedal. The transmission should shift into overdrive (4th gear). Put you foot back on the gas pedal.

If you come to a hill and need power, nail the accelerator. The car should downshift into 3rd gear.

Enjoy. If you need more detail, let me know.

VERRY IMPORTANT!!! Always pull the overdrive cable out if you are parked.

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:34 am 
glassparman

T-86 3 speed with overdrive . . .

Bluemower, thanks for the reply. I think someone must have replaced the transmission some years back as this appears to just be a standard 3 speed with no provisions for the solenoid.

How common are those T-86 overdrives? I would sure love to have one back in to match the vin codes.

By the way, is there any site that you know of that has information about the ratios of the different BW trannys and what is the best combo with rear-ends? I'm fairly "stupid" when it comes to knowing the right combinations and why.

thanks,
Michael

quote:
Originally posted by bluemower:
Fairlanes used the T-86 3 speed manual for their overdrive models. With the overdrive option, the regular tail shaft was deleted and the overdrive was added. This is actually a 4th gear.

To verify you have this transmission, look under the car. There will be a solenoid on the left side of the transmission. The solenoid is about the size of a heater fan motor. The governor is slightly smaller and is located on the right side of the tail shaft. Under the hood, you will find a relay mounted on the firewall. A kickdown switch is located on the throttle bellcrank. There should be an overdrive control cable located under the dash.

Normally, you will drive around town with the overdrive cable pulled out. This gives you a normal 3 speed manual drive.

Take the car out on the highway - say 55mph. Push the overdrive control forward. Let off the gas pedal. The transmission should shift into overdrive (4th gear). Put you foot back on the gas pedal.

If you come to a hill and need power, nail the accelerator. The car should downshift into 3rd gear.

Enjoy. If you need more detail, let me know.

VERRY IMPORTANT!!! Always pull the overdrive cable out if you are parked.

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 am 
bluemower

Keep in mind, the door on your car may have been replaced and the data plate may not have the correct information. You can check this by comparing the vin with the stamping in the engine compartment.

If this was an original overdrive car, look for the rest of the overdrive equipment - kickdown switch, relay, pull cable. If it is there, I would agree it may be worth converting back to the original.

The transmissions are available - try a locator service on the internet. The 62 - 64 transmissions will not fit because the transmission bolt pattern changed in 65. I believe the 65 transmissions used a 10 spline pilot shaft. The earlier transmissions used a 23 spline pilot shaft. If you look for a transmission, acquire the yoke. Parts for these are available and the well established transmission shops will know how to rebuild.

My opinion is the best ratio for the overdrive set up is the 3.5 axle. In overdrive, you would experience better fuel mileage and still have good acceleration. FYI, I recall 26mpg with a 260 engine and 24mpg with a 289.
One of the members on this forum reported 28 - 29mpg with his 221 engine.

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 am 
glassparman

Thanks again for all your information!

Michael

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: