Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

swapping power to manual steering on a 66...

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dsfdlish

swapping power to manual steering on a 66...

I purchased a manual set up from a guy a while back. Today I actually tried lining it all up. I have the manual center link, steering arm & pitman arm. The inner tie rod ends bolted to the manual link are MUCH longer then the ones on the power center link in my car. All but one of my cars current tie rods are shot, as is one of the two on the manual set up so I'll be replacing them anyway. So in a nutshell-Are the tie rod end set ups different between power/manual? or is this just the wrong set up

ps- the manual link has holes in what look like the same locations as the power link for the inner tie's.

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:58 am 
CompactFairlane

Re: swapping power to manual steering on a 66...

quote:
Originally posted by dsfdlish:
I purchased a manual set up from a guy a while back. Today I actually tried lining it all up. I have the manual center link, steering arm & pitman arm. The inner tie rod ends bolted to the manual link are MUCH longer then the ones on the power center link in my car. All but one of my cars current tie rods are shot, as is one of the two on the manual set up so I'll be replacing them anyway. So in a nutshell-Are the tie rod end set ups different between power/manual? or is this just the wrong set up

ps- the manual link has holes in what look like the same locations as the power link for the inner tie's.

Are you sure that you got a manual steering linkage from a 1966 donor? Why I wonder is 1966 is by itself with 1967-69 all being the same animal.

In fact: the only parts that are the same between 1966 and 1967-69 linkages are the tie rod adjuster sleeves MOOG # ES2004S.

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:41 pm 
steelfinattic

Even if you have a 66-69 power steering setup you can still use it on the 66. The 66 used long outer tie rods and short inners. the 66-69 used short outers and long inners. All you will need to do is buy the inners and outers for a 67-69 Fairlane and they will work fine on the 66. You can also use the 66 style tie rods if you like but they are a lot more expensive than the 67-69 style. I personally have a 66 that has the tie rods for a 67-69 on it and there is no problems with it everything lines up and works fine . Dwight

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:12 am 
dsfdlish

thanks a lot guys!

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:34 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: