Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Front End

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rcianci

Front End

Trying to decide what to do and need advice. Want to keep 66GTA stock,Upper,lower control arms replaced, new springs,upper lower ball joints new.Car is power steering, and pump and control valve need rebuilding and probably box too. I want new inner and outer ends and sleeves.I have read good and bad about FPA headers, and power steering mount.Also what is the Shelby drop?? Any thoughts ideas and advice would be appreciated for this newbie who is back in the car game. Thx. Bob.

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:48 am 
bulletpruf

Bob -

FPA headers are said to be the best on the market as far as fit and finish, but they are quite pricey. I do not have any personal experience with them. however. Might want to try a search here for "FPA" and see what threads you find.

Have you considered keeping your exhaust manifolds or upgrading them to CJ manifolds, which flow better? I'm using Edelbrock heads on my 66 FE, and have decided to use CJ manifolds b/c of the original look and lack of header headaches. Believe the bolt pattern will work, but double check before you buy 'em. Used ones sell on e-bay for $400+, but reproductions are $500 from Mustangs Unlimited.

Good luck,

Scott

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:23 am 
scotta66gt

A-Arms

Howdy.I went with the Global West upper A-arms, they aren't that much more expensive then a complete Moog setup. The are relocated 1" down and back to do the Shelby Drop which really helps handling. Also for the tie rod sleeves you can use the heavy duty Edelbrock parts which are cheap and much better than the stock stamped steel ones. FWIW, Scott

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:54 am 
rcianci

Front End

Thx guys, I appreciate the advice. Scott I forgot I read about the Edlebrock sleeves in your upgrade posts,and am going to do similar things. I am still wary about headers and problems. How much better do the CJs flow? This seems like the better way to go.... Bob.

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:15 am 
optika1illushun

i cant help with the FPA headers and power steering fitment but my 66 comet with a 390 has the FPA headers and they fit like a glove. they look great and seem to be made for the car.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:51 am 
CompactFairlane

Re: Front End

quote:
Originally posted by rcianci:
Thx guys, I appreciate the advice. Scott I forgot I read about the Edlebrock sleeves in your upgrade posts,and am going to do similar things. I am still wary about headers and problems. How much better do the CJs flow? This seems like the better way to go.... Bob.

Frankly; after factoring in mufflers, etc. for a street driven 'daily driver' type of car-------I would not bother with headers.

The above stated: if you were running a 428CJ instead of a mild 390; headers may just be worth the hassle.

Post Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:34 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: