Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Energy-absorbing Steering Column

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rylic

Energy-absorbing Steering Column

Has anyone done a conversion on their 'lane, from the long shaft to a collapsible steering column? I'm looking for a column, and I was wondering if any of you guys might have used a Mustang column instead of a Fairlane column. There's a Mustangs and Fords article that goes over the conversion, and it says you can swap a 68-69 Ford/Mercury column into an earlier car, but it doesn't specify whether it has to be out of the same model of car.

My main concern are mounting points and column/shaft lengths. I would need the bracket to stabilize it at the firewall, and the dash mount. The mustang columns appear to mount differently at the dash, but I'm wondering if I can use my existing column bracket and use the mustang firewall bracket.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/30247_collapsible_steering_column/index.html

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
CompactFairlane

Re: Energy-absorbing Steering Column

quote:
Originally posted by Rylic:
Has anyone done a conversion on their 'lane, from the long shaft to a collapsible steering column? I'm looking for a column, and I was wondering if any of you guys might have used a Mustang column instead of a Fairlane column. There's a Mustangs and Fords article that goes over the conversion, and it says you can swap a 68-69 Ford/Mercury column into an earlier car, but it doesn't specify whether it has to be out of the same model of car.

My main concern are mounting points and column/shaft lengths. I would need the bracket to stabilize it at the firewall, and the dash mount. The mustang columns appear to mount differently at the dash, but I'm wondering if I can use my existing column bracket and use the mustang firewall bracket.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/30247_collapsible_steering_column/index.html

I would think that any 1968-69 Fairlane/Torino/Montego/Falcon column is essentially the same animal.

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:24 pm 
IceLane

I think there's a lot of interchangability here. I know, for instance, that you can bolt a tilt column out of a 71-73 Mustang into a 68-71 Torino. You might have to do some work on the I shaft going back into the earlier Fairlanes, but I'd imagine that they are similar.

If you like I can take some photos and measurements of the 1970/1 Torino column in my basement tonight.

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:29 am 
CompactFairlane

quote:
Originally posted by IceLane:
I think there's a lot of interchangability here. I know, for instance, that you can bolt a tilt column out of a 71-73 Mustang into a 68-71 Torino. You might have to do some work on the I shaft going back into the earlier Fairlanes, but I'd imagine that they are similar.

If you like I can take some photos and measurements of the 1970/1 Torino column in my basement tonight.

Thanks for the heads-up. Also if switching out steering columns; it would be a simple matter of using pretty much any 1968-80 Ford small car (Granada, Maverick, Falcon, Fairlane, Comet, etc) steering gear and calling it good to avoid customizing a 1967 on down piece. Smile

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:36 am 
Rylic

Pictures would be great!

As far as the steering gear, I am going to install the rack and pinion sold by Dearborn Classics, so I'm not sure what I'm going to run into yet.

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
scotta66gt

Stang too short

Howdy. I understand the Mustang column is about 2" shorter than the 'Lane. I'd get (and am looking for) a 67 power steering column and box then getting it rebuilt as a manual to get the faster steering and safety.

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:12 am 
steve

I am using one from a 68 Mustang in my 64. I needed a shorter column when I put in my integral power steering box and I didn't want to cut my stock one. It wasn't a direct bolt on at the bottom of the dash but it wasn't hard to make it work.

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:16 pm 
IceLane

Here are some photos of my '70 floor shift column. It's 31" from the rag joint flange to the steering wheel mating surface.

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:40 am 
Rylic

Thanks, that helps a lot. Looks like it has a different column collar.

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:07 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: