Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

1966 Fairlane XL 427 VIN

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
66fairlaneRcode

1966 Fairlane XL 427 VIN

Could i get some help decoding my vin tags below? I have 2 1966 Fairlanes that I'm confused on.
Thanks!
This first one is a Fairlane XL missing engine and trans but still has factory rear end.

6A47R142_____

body 63C color K trim 82 date 20L DSO 4040000 axle 9 trans 5

another 1966 fairlane 2 dr. sedan 427 ( has a dealer installed Holman-Moody side-oiler in 1966) vin tag below shows a 6 cylinder engine with a 3.50 Locker rear and a top-loader 4 speed!! HELP -what have I got here!

6A31T247____

body 62A color M trim 12 date 06A DSO84 axle E trans5

Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Rylic

Because I'm too lazy to do a lot of copy/pasting:

http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/66codes.html
http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/finfo/66finfo.html

I will say that it looks like your XL hardtop was a 427, 4-speed, 4.11 rear car. No wonder it had the motor taken out.

You can figure it all out with those links, though.

EDIT: Well, nevermind, I guess you already knew it was a 427 car, right? What exactly are you trying to figure out?

Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
la8ron

I always thought the factory 427 cars were 500's not XL's, and were equiped with a LSD, where the axle code given is for an open end diff with it being a number and not a letter. The trans would be a wide ratio 4 speed.

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:00 am 
Rylic

I think I read somewhere that the 427 cars were either 500's or 500XL's, though it's not something I've studied on much.

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
66fairlaneRcode

1966 Fairlane 427 XL

I guess what I'm trying to find out is what DSO code is 404000? I can't find this anywhere. I do know, it came with the 427 with 2x4's as the factory exhaust manifolds are still in the trunk.

My other 66 Fairlane 427 vin number says it came with a 6 cylinder engine,a 3.50 Locker and a top loader from DSO 84 which means it was built as a special order. All I can say is Ford did some strange things back then! Being the cheap 2 door sedan body,the 6 cylinder engine was probably installed with the sole purpose of moving the car on and off the transporter under its own power. Then the Ford dealer installed the H-M 427. That's all it needed as the Locker rear and top loader were already installed at the factory.Looks like the Ford dealers had a "better idea" before the Chevy dealer guys did with installing 427 big block engines in the Camaro in 1967!
The above senerio are my thoughts of what might have happened.Does any of this make any sense to anybody?

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
True-R

There was no '66 R code Fairlane XLs in '66 , That VIN is not a legitimate VIN . all were 500s in '66 except some of the prototypes , but they had 390 engine codes . Thats the facts !

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:51 pm 
66fairlaneRcode

From Musclecar Club- Ford Fairlane History

Note below article that states the 427 was available in the XL but NOT the GT. I have photo of the actual Vin tag available showing the above info in my first posting above as stated, is correct.

Comments: New for 1966 was the introduction of the GT and GTA packages, as well as the addition of a new convertible body style in addition to the two door hardtop. The Fairlane was redesigned to fit Ford's FE big block V8s for the first time. GTs came with 390 cid V8s as standard, the GTA added the SportShift Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission. The GT and GTA packages were available on the 500/XL line and also included special badges, a special hood, body striping, engine dress-up parts, heavy-duty suspension, disc brakes, bucket seats, console and a sport steering wheel. The base 390 V8 335 bhp engine featured a hot cam, special manifolds, and a single four barrel carb. This set up was good for mid-15s in the quarter mile, respectable, but far from fast.

To boost its performance image, Ford installed a detuned version of its race ready 427 V8 in approximately 60 Fairlanes. These were the famous "side oiler" 427 wedge engines that Ford raced in NASCAR and was initial available only with dual quad carbs, which was good for a rated 425 bhp. Fairlanes equipped with the 427 included a big air scoop at the front of the hood. The 427 was available in two versions: a single four barrel carb, good for 410 bhp, or with dual quad carbs which was rated at 425 bhp. Fitting the 427 required modified shock towers and larger front coil springs. Free-breathing cast iron exhaust headers, low-restriction dual exhausts, and Ford's top-loader four-speed manual completed the powertrain. The 427 was only available on the two door Fairlane 500s or 500XLs and it came with a lift-off fiberglass hood with functional air scoop, small fender insignia, a Special Handling package, manual front disc brakes, heavy-duty rear leaf springs, larger bias-belted blackwall tires, but no tach. On the dragstrip, these cars could do the quarter mile in under 13 seconds at almost 114 mph. With a little work, times in the mid 11's were possible.

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:54 pm 
True-R

I dont know where that was quoted from , but it is simply not correct , There were no XL s produced in '66 with the 427 , there were some XLs produced in '67 with the 427 , and all 427 Fairlanes produced in both '66 and '67 had axle code 7 ( 3.89 single traction ) although the '66 door tags were blank and the axle code was not stamped into the plate. I would bet that the door tag that you saw was a readily available reproduction tag that was stamped however the buyer wanted it

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:57 pm 
True-R

I dont know where that was quoted from , but it is simply not correct , There were no XL s produced in '66 with the 427 , there were some XLs produced in '67 with the 427 , and all 427 Fairlanes produced in both '66 and '67 had axle code 7 ( 3.89 single traction ) although the '66 door tags were blank and the axle code was not stamped into the plate. I would bet that the door tag that you saw was a readily available reproduction tag that was stamped however the buyer wanted it

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:59 pm 
SD44

Re: From Musclecar Club- Ford Fairlane History

quote:
Originally posted by 66fairlaneRcode:
Note below article that states the 427 was available in the XL but NOT the GT. I have photo of the actual Vin tag available showing the above info in my first posting above as stated, is correct.

Comments: New for 1966 was the introduction of the GT and GTA packages, as well as the addition of a new convertible body style in addition to the two door hardtop. The Fairlane was redesigned to fit Ford's FE big block V8s for the first time. GTs came with 390 cid V8s as standard, the GTA added the SportShift Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission. The GT and GTA packages were available on the 500/XL line and also included special badges, a special hood, body striping, engine dress-up parts, heavy-duty suspension, disc brakes, bucket seats, console and a sport steering wheel.

there's several thing incorrect in this first paragraph too. 66 was not the first year for a 2 door hardtop, you could get those from 62-65 also. disc brakes also did not come on GT's in 66, only the 427 cars in 66 had the disc brakes, it wasn't till 67 that you could get discs on GT's. Also, the wood grain sport steering wheel was not standard equipment for the GT's, it was an additional option.

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:23 pm 
sid c

Yes -- on 1966 XL "R" codes

I have a close friend who ordered one direct from Ford. He did install TP intake and heads, states he broke many axle's until he went aftermarket. He still has the window sticker from the car, it was a blue color exterior, standard run of the mill XL interior, steel flat hood. The car now resides in a private collection in Georgia, he has tried to purchase it back with no luck.
He did some research and found two 'colored' XL's sold in 1966.

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:37 pm 
la8ron

Didn't FORD do some oddball things in the 60's, like if your car was coded for a certain color and they ran out of that color they painted another color and didn't change the code of the color on the tag. I have also heard they did this with motors as well, where a car was a c code but ended up with an s code motor in it but the vin plate still said it was a c code. I also know there were some dealer swaps done with the motors and the codes where never changed. There is a 66 ragtop in NZ with a 428 FE motor in it that from what the owner knows was installed by the dealer that sold the car new in 66.

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:26 pm 
Rylic

Can't add much to the conversation at this point, but that article is quoted from (or was copied and put on) the Fairlane page at http://www.musclecarclub.com

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:05 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: