Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:42 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Help! Starter Problems - SOLVED

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rylic

Help! Starter Problems - SOLVED

Ok, mind you, this is the first time hooking the battery up to this car. I redid all of the engine compartment wiring, labeling each wire as I ran it, following a wiring diagram for the car, and also following the original harness.

The problem: When I hooked up the battery, nothing unusual happened, no smells or smoke or anything. I turned the key, it only got to the on position, and I hear a fizzing kind of sound, and see smoke from the starter side of the engine bay, and the starter was engaged and turning the motor over. This is in the ON position, not the START posision. I turned the key off and still the starter motor was engaged and turning the motor over. I had to disconnect the negative battery cable to stop it. Also, the starter cable had caught on fire at the starter. When I started to hook the battery up again, the terminal/cable end threw sparks and the starter motor was still engaged.

What I've found on the internet points to the starter solenoid, but it was brand new, so I didn't think that'd be the problem. The ignition switch is probably the one that came on the car. My guess is the ignition switch internals, or the starter solenoid, or I just managed to cross a wire. But everything looks right going by my wiring diagram. Also, is it possible I don't have something grounded?

Last edited by Rylic on Sun May 28, 2006 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat May 27, 2006 11:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
edwardejv

i got out at a gas station one nite and it started turning over by its self (i had the keys in my hand) by time i got the battery cable off the starter had fried replaced the solenoid and starter been fine since

Post Sat May 27, 2006 11:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Rylic

Problem solved! I had two of the wires for the duraspark connected backwards. IF A WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE DONE SOMETHING BEFORE, AND THERE ARE NUMEROUS DIAGRAMS OF THE SAME THING SHOWING THE SAME CONNECTIONS, FOLLOW THE DIAGRAMS.

It'll keep you from feeling all silly and stuff. Like me.

And in other news: I'm starting the Fairlane up for the first time tomorrow!

Stay tuned for further developments.

Post Sun May 28, 2006 8:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Fair 67

quote:
Originally posted by Rylic:

And in other news: I'm starting the Fairlane up for the first time tomorrow!

Stay tuned for further developments.

How goes the battle did you get it started?

Post Mon May 29, 2006 3:04 pm 
Rylic

Not yet. I have to change the oil because apparently it's a bad thing to break in an engine with something other than 10w30. And at the moment I'm trying to figure out how to set the initial timing. And I'm still not entirely sure that I have the Duraspark box wired right, though I think I remember reading that you could wire the dizzy in with or without it? At any rate, I hope to have it started some time tonight.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 4:15 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: