Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

347 Stroker engine.

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wishbone

347 Stroker engine.

What can anyone tell me about the 347 stroker engine? Good, bad or otherwise. Cool

Post Fri May 19, 2006 8:41 pm 
1320lane

The only thing I hear that has any controversy is the oil ring on some 347 kits. It's in the pin area so it doesn't get to do it's full job. I think Probe has a piston that takes care of this, but it moves the rings up as I understand. A lot of guys will use a 331 stroker kit to avoid the potential problem.

If it's a drag only car or more of a show car or something that doesn't get driven too often, I think a 347 would be fine. But if you're going to put several thousand miles on it a year, I'd go the 331 route.

Just my opinion. I usually ask questions in a lot of different forums and to a lot of different people and sort of take the general concensus as fact. Hasn't failed me yet.

Larry

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Sat May 20, 2006 9:12 am 
la8ron

Wishbone if you go to page 2 of the Fairlane Tech pages, you'll find that somebody else had a thread about this same topic a while ago, There is also a couple of links on there to engine builders.

Post Sat May 20, 2006 3:14 pm 
roger

stroker

I;m about to build the same mill myself, talking to alot of engine builders who tell me the ringland/oil ring problem has been solved by shorter piston & moving the ring area higher.
There are still old 347 kits on sale, so be careful of the super 347 deals out there.
I;ve talked to the Scat tech. line & they;ve assured me with the changes to their 347 kit there is no reason to worry about excessive oil usage anymore.
Other than the ring placement issue, the rod ratio benefit of the 331 of the 331 vs 347 comes up, but, this seems to be a non issue also.(depending on who you talk to.)
Have you looked into the 342 kit?
This may be the way i go
the bigger issues to me are getting the right head, cam combo to make it all work for my application, which is 80% street, 20% road course.
I;m by no means an expert on this issue, the more Tech/engine people i talk to, & let me tell you, in my area just finding guys who know Fords is a challenge in itself, the less I realize I know about getting this combo right.

Post Sun May 21, 2006 11:09 am 
wishbone

Roger, go to www.proformanceunlimited.com and click on ford crate engines. Then you can scroll down thru the list of motors. There is a 347 with 425 horse. When you click on the motor, it will give you a page with the build list and on down you can click on the windows media player and see a live run of the engine. Turn it up because it is awesome!
This is who I'm going with on my engine. Wishbone

Post Mon May 22, 2006 9:08 pm 
codycr6

engines

I ran a 342 in my Mustang for a while, went 11.30's and was driven daily with no real oil control issues. It mostly comes down to clearances. That is a 3.400 stroke, just like a 347, but with standard bore. I was making 580hp on the bottle, so I wanted all the block strength I could get. I now run a 363, which is a 3.400 stroke with a 4.125 bore, or basically a .125 overbore.

The 347's you are speaking of with better oil control use a 5.315 rod instead of a 5.400 rod, which moves the piston pin out of the ring land. It uses a shorter rod, which does hurt rod ratio, but it is basically 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Post Mon May 22, 2006 10:38 pm 
roger

great site

Oh yea, good site wishbone, maybe just have them build me a short block!
e-mailed them re: ramifications of getting aross the border.

Post Tue May 23, 2006 9:06 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: