Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Ball Joint stuck?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
fair67cp

Ball Joint stuck?

I have a 1999 Ford F-150 that I need to replace ball joints and shocks. Everything was going along swimmingly well it seemed until I tried to remove the ball joint from the spindle. Well I whacked on it for about an hour (drivers side top) with my hammer and a pickling fork, but the dang thing won't budge. I'm thinking about a c-clamp or using the ball joint press some way to push and/or pull the parts apart. I've done joints for a number of vehicles including my 40 year old Fairlane and this is the first I've run into this much work removing them. The only difference may be that the gap between the joint and the spindle is bigger so the pickling fork isn't effective.

The only other idea I have is to get my air hammer (small handheld) and try to use that to "shake" vibrate it free, but I'm not sure where the best place to apply it is. Maybe a combination of leaving the pickling fork applied to the joint while using the air hammer with a wedge type accessory above the fork. Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody has run into this before and how they solved the problem.

Thanks!

Post Thu May 18, 2006 7:30 am 
Scott66gta

bolt

most new fords have a crossbolt thru the top of the spindle. it engages the ball joint stud. if you remove that it should fall apart....

Post Thu May 18, 2006 8:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
fair67cp

No way!!! That would explain a lot!!!

Thanks!

Post Thu May 18, 2006 9:21 am 
fair67cp

In the event that this isn't the case (cross bolt through top of spindle) what else can I do to free the pressure fit?

Post Thu May 18, 2006 3:01 pm 
fair67cp

I looked and there is no cross bolt. Do I need to go rent a ball joint puller for this job? I have the press for the bottom ball joint that has a snap ring but presses into the lower arm. I don't think there is a way to use this as I tried to figure one out last night with no success. I guess its back to the parts store again!

Post Fri May 19, 2006 7:05 am 
fair67cp

I used another kit that is called a "tie-rod" service kit. It included what was called a ball joint remover, but it was too small to slip over the spindle knuckle so I used one of the tools for the tie rod end. All the tools are pretty beefy and within minutes I had the parts apart.

Thanks!

Post Mon May 22, 2006 7:46 am 
GerryProctor

On a tapered stud, you will usually find it pretty easy to remove by using a good-sized (like 5lb sledge) hammer on the spindle where the stud passes through. You give the spindle a couple or three good whacks and it will momentarily deform the hole around the stud enough for the stud to pop out.

Post Mon May 22, 2006 11:57 am 
Fair 67

Web site

fair67cp

I have a 96 F 150 and found a very good website for getting answers to any questions. They gave me good advice on the best Mods for my truck for the money to help with a bit more towing power. When I am not on here or the Fairlane club site I go to
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
If you look at the second forum from the top it has 97 to 2003 F 150. They should be able to help you with any question you will ever have. There are also alot of other forums for different years of trucks or like lower down garage & workshop etc. I have found it very helpful.

Post Wed May 24, 2006 4:55 pm 
fair67cp

Thanks Fair! I guess I didn't think there would be other vehicle model forums. I always kind of think any other vehicle makes and models as Fairlane wannabes or just another variation of a Fairlane (hmmm would that mean motorcycles are actually 2 wheel Fairlanes? YES! GT convertible with 2 wheels cut off)

Post Thu May 25, 2006 12:19 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: