Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

proper # for gta motor

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
russomp

proper # for gta motor

Hi Im looking for an engine for a 67 gta would like a year correct motor not neccarily a #matching what are the block codes head codes and intake codes i need to be looking for? ive seen c6me-a blocks or c7me-a both listed as 67. Question

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 am 
GerryProctor

Either could be correct. You're only interested in the date code if you're trying to bring the car close to factory condition. There is no difference in the block, head, or intake between a 390 in a Galaxy wagon and a 390 GT engine in a Fairlane/Mustang. The only block for '67 that carried a different casting number was the 427 sideoiler. From 352-428, all had the same casting code. Heads again are the same codes except the 427. Likewise the intake.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:34 am 
russomp

So I should look for a c7 block. what about having the S on the intake? I think it flows more than a tbird or galaxy I have seen other 67 390 with lower hp ratings . and what about the 14 bolt heads listed in some ads?

any help puttintg a combo together would be great

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 am 
GerryProctor

The "S" intake is Internet crap. All cast iron 4bbl intakes from '67 on (excluding 428 CJ and most 427s) have the S. I have a '67Tbird intake in my parts pile. Has an S on the intake. It is now your duty when someone on other forums posts that crap about the S to tell them they are full of sheets.

The HP rating differences comes down to the cam. The regular 390 4bbl makes 300hp. The GT makes about 30 hp more (varies by the year) due to the camshaft. The GT does use a 600cfm Holley instead of the Autolite, but on the same intake manifold.

Do a search on this forum for the 14-bolt heads. I've already writtin much on the differences and no sense repeating it.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:13 am 
russomp

thanks for the info.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:31 am 
russomp

I went back and looked at the car because of a question about some parts I was looking to buy. They asked me If I had a preference on dates for the car because they had a couple of different options. I have no door tag left on the car. The warranty # on the radiator is 7a42s155974 I am guessing it a 67 Atlanta car 2 door hard top S code 320HP car 155947 of production run.
Given that, It would not really matter what month the parts are I am buying would it?

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm 
GerryProctor

Depends on what you're trying to do, I suppose. If you want to know all the particulars on your car, get a Kevin Marti report. If you're trying to build a correctly, or as close as you dare get, restored car, the Marti report will tell you everything there is to know about the car including its birthday.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: