Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

66-67 Questions Console, Driveshaft, Hoods, Radiator Support

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
bulletpruf

66-67 Questions Console, Driveshaft, Hoods, Radiator Support

Fellas -

Working on a resto of a '66 convt. and have a few questions.

Is the console and hump the same for a 4 sp and auto car? Have someone with an auto console for sale and I'm going with a toploader.

Anyone know lenghts of driveshafts for auto and toploader cars? I have a C4/289/8" and going to toploader/390/9". Just wondering if I can use my current driveshaft or have it shortened.

Realize the 66 and 67 hoods are the same dimensions, but are there any cosmetic differences between the 66 GT hood and the 67 GT hood?

Difference/identification of radiator supports between big block and small block cars?

Thanks,

Scott

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:35 am 
GerryProctor

Re: 66-67 Questions Console, Driveshaft, Hoods, Radiator Sup

quote:
Originally posted by bulletpruf:

Is the console and hump the same for a 4 sp and auto car? Have someone with an auto console for sale and I'm going with a toploader.

Not quite. The console is the same except for the shifter plate. Four speed plates are rather hard to find and expensive when you do find one. But if you do, it's just a matter of removing the auto plate and dropping in the manual plate. The humps are different, but you can make an auto hump work by trimming along the driver side. You could also just remove the auto hump and use a Crites fiberglass 4speed hump.

quote:

Anyone know lenghts of driveshafts for auto and toploader cars? I have a C4/289/8" and going to toploader/390/9". Just wondering if I can use my current driveshaft or have it shortened.

C4 and small output toploaders use a 28-spline yoke. Bit output toploaders and C6s use a 31-spline yoke. Depends on what toploader you have. Not sure on driveshaft length. C6 and long-tail toploaders are both 27" from bellhousing face to tail so a swap in this case is pretty easy from the driveshaft side. A short-tail toploader is 24" long (I believe) but I don't know the C4 length. Shouldn't be too hard to find. One other thing on the trans is the bigblock has its own crossmember that sits lower than the smallblock and six mount. A good thing is all trans mount isolators are all the same.

quote:
Realize the 66 and 67 hoods are the same dimensions, but are there any cosmetic differences between the 66 GT hood and the 67 GT hood?

Not sure on this one.

quote:
Difference/identification of radiator supports between big block and small block cars?

They're different between 66 and 67 and different between bigblock and smallblock -the upper mount anyway.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:54 am 
bulletpruf

Re: 66-67 Questions Console, Driveshaft, Hoods, Radiator Sup

Gerry -

You 'da man.

Will probably go with the Crites 4 sp hump; forgot that they made one.

Toploader is a wide ratio from a '66 Fairlane GT.

I've got a big block crossmember.

I've got a '66 big block radiator support, but it's not perfect. Just trying to figure out what to look for if I locate another one in better shape.

Thanks!

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by GerryProctor:
quote:
Originally posted by bulletpruf:

Not quite. The console is the same except for the shifter plate. Four speed plates are rather hard to find and expensive when you do find one. But if you do, it's just a matter of removing the auto plate and dropping in the manual plate. The humps are different, but you can make an auto hump work by trimming along the driver side. You could also just remove the auto hump and use a Crites fiberglass 4speed hump.

quote:

C4 and small output toploaders use a 28-spline yoke. Bit output toploaders and C6s use a 31-spline yoke. Depends on what toploader you have. Not sure on driveshaft length. C6 and long-tail toploaders are both 27" from bellhousing face to tail so a swap in this case is pretty easy from the driveshaft side. A short-tail toploader is 24" long (I believe) but I don't know the C4 length. Shouldn't be too hard to find. One other thing on the trans is the bigblock has its own crossmember that sits lower than the smallblock and six mount. A good thing is all trans mount isolators are all the same.

quote:

Not sure on this one.

quote:

They're different between 66 and 67 and different between bigblock and smallblock -the upper mount anyway.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:51 pm 
Scott66gta

perhaps I can add something...

the radiator support opening is larger on big block cars, and the underside webbing on the 2 hoods are different, with the '66 having reliefs for the simulated vents.... HTH

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
jmgford

There was a lengthy (100 posts) discussion on the Fairlane Club forum recently concerning the differences between '66-'67 automatic & manual consoles.

Here is one quote:

quote:
... there is a distinct difference in how both are cut. If I can find the blow-up drawing I will, but my scanner is not working at the moment and my books still packed up so it's kind of a fruitless exercise. Maybe another member can find it. I'm pretty sure it was in the Master Parts Cat in the interior assembly drawings. Although, as you stated (and I agreed), you CAN cut one from the other, it is not the correct Ford pattern. The main issue I guess I was trying to get across, is "correctness". The two are not compatible in that respect. If you cut a standard (modified) pattern from an automatic, you will wind up w/ a "hybrid" console, and not a true standard trans unit.

I also believe that the compartment insert in the console is unique to convertibles.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
GerryProctor

It's also different between factory air and non-air cars. About the only thing you can't do without modifying is put a non-air console in an air car. You'd have to trim the front to fit under the discharge box for the floor outlets. But if you have an automatic console, you can remove the shifter plate and drop in a manual trans plate. Done and done.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:36 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: