Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Braided Brake Lines

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rylic

Braided Brake Lines

I was just wondering if it would be unheard-of to do the entire brake line sytem with braided lines? I have to say, Gerry, you were right way back when you said you imagine it would not be easy bending all of the lines myself and making them for the whole car. I found that once bent, especially if the nut is on a short piece, it makes it really hard to flare the ends. And the flaring itself is a pain.

So yeah, has anyone thought of/heard of/tried this? I think my other option at the moment is to get the straight pre-flared pieces at Autozone/O'Reillys and bend/connect them. I'll probably end up paying as much as it'd cost to buy the ones actually bent for my car that way though. Not that braided lines are cheap either.

Post Sun May 14, 2006 11:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
fairjohn

Hi, For starters the fairlane I have now was as cool as yours way back when I was 24 with a 400+ hp 302 and a C4 with a 2500 rpm stall. It was late 80's and the rice grinders were just starting to enter the scene but I was happy to put them in there place. Since then I've seen the big block light and I'm never going back. Any ways I don't know if it would be a good idea or not to use braided lines for your system but it seems like it would be cheeper to buy a pre bent line from inlinetube.com or classictube.com then use the braided lines from the frame to the front calipers, assuming you have disc brakes in the front, and a braided line to replace the flexable line in the rear. I did this and it turned out real nice. Inlinetube has any fitting that you will need to go from the hard line to the braided line. I've bought the straight lines from napa but I've always ended up cutting them and re-flaring them because there never the right length and you end up with too much excess so you have to figure out what is cheaper, the straight lines with a double flare tool set to get them just right or pre bent lines.

Post Mon May 15, 2006 12:30 am 
GerryProctor

I can't think of any theoretical reason why you couldn't use braided stainless brake line (real teflon-lined hose, not the generic braided lines) to plumb the entire system. I'd think that as long as you adequately secured the line throughout the system that it would work. Though, I'd have to believe that it would be far cheaper and easier to get a pre-bent system like John says. It's going to be expensive buying the crimp tool to secure the line fittings to the braided hose on a build it yourself system.

And as far as bending and fairing your own lines, tool quality has a lot to do with it.

Post Mon May 15, 2006 5:32 am 
Scott66gta

Soft Lines

Even though it would work, i believe that the cumulative length of all that hose would cause your pedal to be spongy. the braided lines, although not rubber, would still elevate your risk of a brake failure. braided hoses are not without their faults... if you are hell bent on doing this, ponder running hard lines a portion of the way to the reat of the car... benong line your self isn't all that hard, you just have to get the hang of it. i would suggest mocking up the lines with coat hanger first, then transfer then to the brake line. JMHO

PS... I don't about where you live, but here in NY, it probably won't pass state safety inpection... they have to be DOT approved assemblies...

Post Mon May 15, 2006 8:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: