Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:39 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

66-427 fe block????

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mots-a

66-427 fe block????

Howdy Gang -

While cleaning my storage area out I cam across a FE block, first thing I noticed on the back of the block was "66-427" boy did I get excited, once I was able to get the block out of its pile I noticed that it does not have cross bolted mains, has no check mark or HI on the block, I popped out the freeze plugs and on one side inside the freeze plug hole it says 352.

The block has no casting numbers at all the flezplate with it is a 428 mustang plate - c6ae-6380 b -

The block is drilled for center oiler but also has the side oiler humps that are not drilled.

cylinder heads are c7ae

I going to mesure the bore and stroke in the morning.

my question is Did ford make 390 blocks molded almost like the 427? with the 66-427 on the back?

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
fairlaniac

yes on the 390 block

I have seen several 390 blocks with the 66-427 numbers cast into the rear and the undrilled sideoiler bosses. Story is that Ford cast a lot of blocks using the rear section of the 427 casting die since it was either convenient or a necessity at the time.

Is this Tom, Pop-pop with the white Fairlane? If so I have not seen you at Ocean City the past two years? How have you been?

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:27 pm 
Scott66gta

marine/industrial block

most fe blocks from that era had markings like that... check the bore... 390= 4.06; 428= 4.13; 427= 4.23.. sounds like you either have some sort of service block or more likely a marine/industrial block.... HTH

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
mots-a

Re: yes on the 390 block

quote:
Originally posted by fairlaniac:
I have seen several 390 blocks with the 66-427 numbers cast into the rear and the undrilled sideoiler bosses. Story is that Ford cast a lot of blocks using the rear section of the 427 casting die since it was either convenient or a necessity at the time.

Is this Tom, Pop-pop with the white Fairlane? If so I have not seen you at Ocean City the past two years? How have you been?

Yep this is tom Pop-pop with the white fairlane, my 427 has been hurt for the last 2 years and been slowly limping it along. $$$$ has been hard to come by, I hope I can make OC next year. I miss that traffic jam Smile

How have you been?

Anyhow I found out today that the motor is a 428, I am thinking that it is a
marine/industrial block, the bore is 4.13 and the pistons have a part number that cross to 428.

So slow rebuild is on, I figure a 12:1 compression alum. head single 4 roller cam 428 is in my future Smile.

thanks for the info guys.

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: