Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneParts

66 Radio Delete instrument panel

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
steve

66 Radio Delete instrument panel

very good condition no cracks, plastic should be rechromed to be perfect. Offers.

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:53 pm 
hot428ford

Photos

Do you have any photos ?? How much are you wanting ?

Post Wed May 03, 2006 8:02 pm 
steve

I would like to get at least $175. I know they have gone far higher than that on E-bay. I can send you a picture. What is your e-mail?

Post Fri May 05, 2006 5:26 pm 
jemmons

Do you still have the delete cluster?

Thanks, Joe

Post Tue May 09, 2006 10:45 pm 
steve

I do have a decent offer, but it is not sold yet.

Post Wed May 10, 2006 4:53 am 
fair67cp

I was always curious:

Why exactly is it called a "delete" cover? The word "delete" sounds funny and kind of out of place.

Post Wed May 10, 2006 7:18 am 
GerryProctor

"Radio Delete" is an option nomenclature borrowed from GM. In real context, once radios became standard equipment('69, as I recall from the AMA), selecting the radio delete option code allowed the buyer to delete the radio from the car's build. This was generally done along specific car lines as the car was being ordered for racing and would have no use for a radio. There was also a heater delete. Most of the time, the radio delete was a component of a specific performance option code, like L-88 in Corvettes.

In the Fairlane, there really is no such thing as a radio delete. It's just an instrument panel for a Fairlane that was built without the radio when the radio was an option. It's a very common panel in the stripper economy Fairlanes. It's not rare by any means. Many, many Fairlanes were delivered to dealers without the radio. It was a means to knock the sticker price down to the lowest level for those type buyers who purchased on price. Dealers would also install radios for buyers interested in having the radio. I have an original conversion kit dealers used to install a radio into Fairlanes not originally equipped. It consists of the metal panel, the plastic lens, the radio, speaker and the rest of the factory parts to make the conversion.

The whole radio delete thing is about on par with air conditioning delete. The instrument panel was different between air and non-air cars. Sure, it was only a stencil, but hey, it's an A/C-delete car.

Post Wed May 10, 2006 9:07 am 
SD44

well gerry do they make a snap in piece to cover the radio holes if you want to remove the radio?

Post Wed May 10, 2006 4:02 pm 
GerryProctor

No. If the car didn't leave the factory with a radio it used a lens and metal bezel without the radio cutout. The radio delete snap in was primarily the way GM did this. There was also the clock delete option for the Fairlane where if there was no clock, there's just a little star graphic where the clock would be and a plastic plug in the lens for the setting knob. So a real stripper Fairlane dash would have no radio, no clock, and no A/C stencil. Again, quite common.

Post Thu May 11, 2006 5:14 am 
bobd

What we refer to today as "delete plate" is listed in the FoMoCo parts book as "cover, instrument panel radio opening". It was used when no radio was installed, and was available at least as far back as 1951 - that's as far back as my parts book goes. It was, and is, available for virtually every vehicle built by the Ford Motor Company up until today. There may have been a very few rare exceptions. The basic part# is 04371, so it should be easy to find out if one was made for any given vehicle. I also know from personal experience, that somewhere along the line, not sure what year, a cover was also available for the hole where the antenna would have been mounted.

Post Thu May 11, 2006 8:52 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: