Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Unibodies!

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wishbone

Unibodies!

I'm restoring a 1963 Sports Coupe, and was wondering just how much of the unibody I can take apart? Can the entire front "clip" be removed? I want to media blast the entire car. What about the rear quarter panels?

Can all of the side moldings running down the car be totally removed? I want to get any rust there is underneath the stainless and aluminum.
Thanks for your replies!!!

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:58 pm 
roger

Every piece of moulding does come off, you will have to remove door panels front & rear to get at the nuts or clips but you can strip it all off,try & save the end ones as they;re unique, and the big flat ones holding the big chunk of chrome on where the top meets the fender.
Have you got a manual for your car? there is a pic. in the body section of the car striped to rad. support & thats about it.
If you don;t, get one.
just the diagrams showing the different clip, bolt placements is well worth the cost of a mnaual

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:16 pm 
wishbone

Where can I get a copy of the manual for the 1963 Fairlane Sports Coupe?
Should I just remove engine, tranny and moldings and trim and then media blast the whole car left together?

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:31 pm 
jmgford

As far as the shop manual goes, Ford issued a shop manual for the 1962 Fairlane and then in 1963 (&1964), they issued a supplement for the items that changed in those years, such as the addtion of the 289 engine and the trim differences. You can usually find '62 & '63 manuals on eBay.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1320lane

Sorta like this I guess....

The front fenders are loose, I'm fixing to mount it to a rotisserie so I can media blast it. My neighbor across the street has a 600# pressure pot and an Ingersol Rand diesel trailer mounted compressor (the kind you use with big, air powered jackhammers) that he uses for blasting stuff. He has the hood with remote air and said all I need to do is supply the diesel and media. He's working on his son's '57 Chevy pickup, so I think I'll buy enough primer/sealer for both vehicles and maybe pick him up a new spray gun and after we're done blasting, have him seal it up for me.

BTW, how do you like this rear suspension?

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Mon May 01, 2006 3:26 pm 
odd ball

thats one sweet 3 link rebar suspension!

Post Mon May 01, 2006 4:13 pm 
1320lane

Ah, but it's just two bars. You can see the broken leaf spring hanging in front of the rear.

I had the leaf springs welded to the rear end as both were junk. The car was stored outside at a friend's junk yard. A fire was coming thru the area and it was sitting amongst some cedar trees. Shocked

We hurried up and hooked a wrecker up to it and the idiot driving it (neither my friend or myself) dumped the clutch and took off like a bat out of youknowwhat. Busted the left spring and you'll notice the axles aren't bolted in. Well, that tore up my stretched wheel wells.

In the engine compartment, you can see the nifty aluminum torque strap and the steel plates welded to the sides of the strut rod channels that they used for tiedowns. This car had been a drag only car since '67.

I'll be removing the bumpout in the heater core area, not just that dome, the whole area steps out a bit, I'll flatten it back and try to make it look original as I can. I'll be slapping an FE in there and I'll use engine plate and I want to move the engine back as far as I can. I'll wait until that point to decide how to modify the shock towers.

I plan on converting it to a R&P, so the steering will go away. I'm leaning towards front steer, so even the spindles will have to change. I'm planning for a tubular set of upper and lower control arms to go in and I'll use a front steer spindle off something that I can put race brakes on easily. I'm hoping the lower arm will be a A arm so I can eliminate the strut rods.

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Mon May 01, 2006 6:35 pm 
roger

nice

Got your work cut out for yourself! but, it does look like a solid car.
you know Rod & Cutom motorsports makes a bolt in Stang 11 type rack & pinion set up for our cars.
I just wish it was rear steer, but i;m told it works great
Good luck & keep us apprised of how it goes

Post Wed May 03, 2006 8:54 am 
1320lane

I was thinking of a MII or Pinto or manual Fox rack in there. I'll need to measure the final pivot point of the lower control arm to get an idea of how wide of a rack I'll need.

Post Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 am 
jswordy

Glass blasted

Now working on body issues in prep for epoxy primer.

Here's the before, just for encouragement to ya.

Post Fri May 05, 2006 1:31 pm 
RadMan

1320 are you planning to cut the fire wall to get the set back you were talking about?

Post Sat May 06, 2006 8:03 pm 
RadMan

1320 are you planning to cut the fire wall to get the set back you were talking about?

Post Sat May 06, 2006 8:04 pm 
1320lane

Well, I was planning on taking the heater bump out of the firewall, it's only about an inch, has that dome screwed to it (have no idea what the dome is), but the rules say you're not supposed to modify the firewall. I'll have to look at it closer to see if I can do it without it being obvious, heck it's only an inch, it's not like I'm trying to move it back 3"-4". I'm only trying to make it even with the rest of the firewall.

Larry

Post Mon May 08, 2006 5:51 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: