Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

302 or 390? Opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
jemmons

Lets clear up the batter box thing just in case anyone wants to do the BB conversion. The battery apron is the same but the BB car mounts the battery differently. The BB car mounts the battery along the apron and the SB car mounts the battery along the radiator support. The conversion requires a reinforcement bracket and a bigger battery tray. To my knowledge the only place reproducing the lower bracket is Autokrafters. The larger BB tray is pretty easy to come by. The lower bracket rests on the battery apron and bolts into the lower flat edge of the battery apron. The battery tray then bolts onto this bracket and has another dog shaped reinforcement that goes up to one of the apron/fender mounting bolts I'll be more than happy to shoot pics for anyone who wants to see the parts. I'll say thanks to Gerry for pointing out the torque box difference and can't wait to get home and compare my 289 car (soon to be 427 R-code clone) with my GTA car. Look like I will need to do some torque box reinforcing on the "C" car.

joecephus64@netzero.com

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:22 pm 
defairlane

Rebuild the 302 & sell the 390 for scrap metal.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:32 pm 
defairlane

Rebuild the 302 & sell the 390 for scrap metal.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:33 pm 
scotta66gt

351 Cleveland

That's what I'd do with a clean sheet of paper for best overall. I love my FE, but the big headed Cleveland with the lighter block weight sure seems like a sweet spot! FWIW, Scott

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:49 am 
drube

Laughing The 390 is in a corner covered up. I'm going to focus on the 302. I have my wishlist started at summit. Very Happy

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 am 
fairjohn

I vote for the FE.

My '68 started life with a 302 w/C4 auto, 2bbl. Rebuilt it twice seeking satisfaction, the last time (in '90 or so) being fairly agressive. Ported '69 351 windsor heads, forged pistons, Erson solid cam (I think they called it HiFlo 1) they still make it I think...great cam, Ebrock TorkerII intake, Holly 650 DP plus alot of money in machine work. Anyway this was before stroker kits but still made good power. Still wasn't satisfied though because this is just too heavy of a car and from stop light to stop light you need low end torque. My FE solved this problem for me and I'm never looking back. Alot of work and research because I converted to manual but well worth it. Only change in front end was 620lb grab-a-trac coil springs from mustangs plus, works perfect. I tried factory BB springs from Dearborn Classics and with the engine in it the front end was way up in the air and I couldn't even push down on it. Even jumped up and down on the front end wouldn't budge it. Sent those pieces of junk back, got the Mustang Plus springs, problem solved. Scared my wife to death (figuratively speaking) she wont step foot in it again. Yes I did good on this one and I'm satisfied.

Learn and gain experience with the 302 then when you get bored with that, unless you go with something like a 427W (which would be a good choice), you could dig that so called dinasour out of the corner, put a Scat stroker kit in it, roller cam, and a pair of Ebrock heads and have yourself a real torque monster. Find a good shop that specializes in FE's or at least knows and works on them regularly. And if you do the assembly yourself, do your homework. There's some great books with alot of great tips and of course good forums like this to help along the way.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 am 
airharley

Fairjohn what gave you the inspiration to use the brass fittings and copper for fuel line? Visualy sitimulating use functional. Do I sound like I am writing a review for an art piece yet?

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:05 pm 
fairjohn

The price they want for the steel braided/AN fitting setup is what inspired me to do that. I have a chrome dual feed line I used to use but I always thought it looked kind of cheap so one day when I was at the hardware store I saw these different kinds of fittings and elbows, primarily used for water I assume, and thought I might try designing a fuel line out of that and for about $12.00 in materials I fabbed up a fuel line. So far works great with no leaks. Shines up really nice with metal polish.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:46 pm 
Fair 67

Fairjohn has some very good points. I have had 2 small block 67 Fairlanes and still own one. It seemed like I just could not get the power I wanted.(I did not have a 347 though) Last year I got a 67 GT with a 390. I stroked it to a 410 and have just got to test drive it a bit here last week. All I can say is WoW what a difference.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:11 pm 
drube

fairjohn that looks great! Thanks for the info and advice.

quote:
Scared my wife to death (figuratively speaking) she wont step foot in it again.

That's awesome! lol

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:04 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: