Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:56 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

62sc Bucket Seats

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
thescreenman

62sc Bucket Seats

Im on a good roll today so im pushing my luck.The aftermarket seat cover sets sold are not made for a 62.I have seen cover sets for 63 and 64 does anyone know if they fit or a sets say mustang,t-bird ect... Does anybody know if the fit will be ok or tried it.Thank you in advance.

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
thescreenman

All those hits and no takers? Lets ask more.Say I just use the frames and use newer foam to go with the updated upholstery, are the frames the same (buckets and rear seat) . I really do not want to do this on the blind or does everyone go to custom shops.Really would like to do this myself as I am doing this with my son, its a father/son thing.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Fastronald

Seats

If you have replacement covers, turn them inside out and let them cook in the sun before putting them on. With them inside out you pull them down so the top is in place then the rest glides on over the foam. The sun makes them more pliable. I guess them fit should be ok..check everything twice before installing them.

To ALL my fellow Veterans.....Thanks!

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:27 pm 
thescreenman

Fast,Thanks for the sun tip ,As a kid I remember the upholsterers using a steam machine and that would take care of putting them on.Cool tip saved me money in buying or renting a tool.I do not have the covers yet, I was thinking 63 covers in same color but I need to know if the frames are the same size. I called one of those aftermarket sellers and got a too fast no it wont work.Get off the phone deals.Can anyone look up a parts book to see if frame numbers are same going up in the years?

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:41 am 
roger

seats

Physicaly looking at the Dearborn Classics new 63 seat foam & covers they do look almost indentical to my 62;s, except for the pattern, that is.
The door panels do not, at least the design.
i;d be checking with Bob Mannel at fairlane Club of America site, If anyone knows `for sure, Bob would.
i;m going over there right now & pose this question.

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:09 am 
thescreenman

Roger,Any luck on info.The rest of my interior is in good shape it is just the buckets.I know about the pattern matching, that is why I will do the rear seat also.It would be nice to wait and see if they ever come out with a 62 kit .I never would have thought of a 63 set but there making them now. Mabe next year?Who knows.

Post Mon May 01, 2006 11:31 am 
roger

seats

Bob says the foam & seats for the 62 are unique & the 64;s covers won;t do.
I had mine done about 10 yrs, ago & they got those covers from somewhere in California.
I seem to remember the shop telling me my 62 buckets were a match to early T-bird buckets, but, it was a long time ago.
the shop is still in business so i;m going to try & find out where they got em.
And maybe see if they still have the brown on brown bench seat out of a 63 i just left there 10 yrs, ago, Cheez!

Post Wed May 03, 2006 8:59 am 
thescreenman

Roger,I do think you have found the answer.I was also told years ago about using t-bird covers.Last night I went searching on the web for pictures and the 62 bird frame looks the same.Now that gives me another problem t-bird rear seats have a hump in the top so that can not be used.Patterns will not match,looks like custom shop time or I better learn to sew.I know there is not alot of 62 sports coupes made but what a stall on restoring.39.000 miles all orig.and this comes up to knock everything off.Thanks for going out of your way .Let me know what the shop says.Any other ideas?The only thing I can think of now is 63 doner buckets and go with the 63 cover set,I think the rear seat is the same.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 9:49 am 
roger

seat covers

screenman
Talk to Bob Mannel at the Fairlaner magazine ,he;s the 62-65 Tech. expert & I don;t think anyone knows more about early F;lanes than Bob.
He will defiantely know if the seat covers will work.
As far as i know the 62-64 seats are exactly the same save for some botttom trim add ons.
I know when i had my 62;s buckets re-covered the interior guys cross referenced the interior covers to an early T-bird & they fit perfectly.
Now, this was 15 yrs, ago so i can;t tell you for sure year, style, where they got them other than a company in Cal. or part numbers

Post Mon May 29, 2006 12:37 pm 
roger

covers

Talked to the shop, they said they got original front seat cover from california & had to make the rear seat covers to match as 62;s were not avaialble.
have you checked the "parts for sale" at the Failane club website?
there was a 62 on there for sale for parts.

Post Wed May 31, 2006 9:19 am 
roger

seats

On the Fairlane club website there is a post right now for front & rear seat covers in black for 62-64 Fairlanes for sale

Post Wed May 31, 2006 9:24 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: