Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Disc Brakes for 63SC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wishbone

Disc Brakes for 63SC

I'm wanting to put disc brakes on my 63 sports coupe.
What is the best conversion kit / or swap off another car that will make this job less stressful.
I have heard that the 80's Granada disc's are a good match.
help me out!

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:02 pm 
steve

If you are looking for a low stress conversion, check out Wilwood's conversion or Stainless Steel Brakes. The granada setup, which I have a big disc version of, is a fair bit of work since you have to change the spindles. Those coil springs are a little scary when compressed all the way to get them out to change the spindles. With the other kits I mentioned, you use your stock spindles. No changing of tie rod ends and getting an alignment either!

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:37 am 
roger

discs

By the time you add up the time & parts you need for the Granada swap(77 to 80;s Granada, monarch, versaille)& the replacement rotors or caliper parts you will be pretty close to SSBC brand new set up.

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:16 pm 
wishbone

Thanks for the info. Is there a catalog or website where I can find those types of disc brakes.

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:43 pm 
Kyle

http://www.wilwood.com/

You want to look at the kits for a '65-'69 Mustang. The Dynalite Pro kit, which comes in your choice of 10.75"/11"/11.75" rotors will tuck inside a 14" rim like a Torque-Thrust II without hassle - I know this for certain because I'm using the 11.75" setup on my '64 with those exact rims.

When I purchased my kit, the total cost was $918.00 CDN through a local speed shop. Add to that a couple 90 degree adapters for the stock flex lines, some saftey wire and a good Disk/Drum Master cylinder with proportioning valve (Foxbody Mustang or Fairmont) and you're set. Fit and finish of the kit was spectacular. Everything was high quality (Timken wheel bearings, SPS mounting hardware and wheel studs) and I had zero issues with getting proper alignment between the caliper and rotor.

The Stainless Steel Brakes kit kinda puzzled me when I looked into it last summer. As I recall, the setup they offer is more expensive than the Wilwood kit, and they re-use alot of factory style hardware off of various production model cars that really doesn't stack up.

~If you have any further questions about the Wilwood kit or swap in general, feel free to fire away any questions.

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:36 pm 
steve

Hey Kyle good to see ya here! Hope to hook up with you guys at some cruise nights, or maybe Bothwell this year! Also there are some Fairlane Club of America mini-meets in Michigan this summer that we could maybe go to together. Later Steve

Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:31 am 
roger

wildwood

Just go to stainless steel brakes or wildwood sites, as Steve says, the WW kit is easier & if I was to do it again thats the way i;d go.
Those coil springs are really scary to remove & I would not do that removal myself again!
i;d be leaving that to the pro;s, so a kit , that allows discs without changing th spindles is a no-brainer.
The only advantage I see to the Granada type swaps are the heavier spindles you end up with, but, unless your going road racing do you really need beefier spindles anyway?

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:58 am 
wishbone

What were some of the problems you ran into during the disc brake conversion? Who makes better stuff Stainless Steel or Wilwood? Should I do discs on all four wheels or just the front two. Motor has 420 hp!

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:53 pm 
Kyle

quote:
Originally posted by wishbone:
What were some of the problems you ran into during the disc brake conversion? Who makes better stuff Stainless Steel or Wilwood? Should I do discs on all four wheels or just the front two. Motor has 420 hp!

On my Wilwood kit I had to re-make the brakelines inside the fenderwell and relocate the bracket that holds the flexline to the frame. Other than that, all I needed were a couple adapters so the factory flexlines would thread into my calipers. You also need a new master cylinder and metering valve, so you're going to have to do some re-plumbing there as well.

At the cost of sounding biased, I'd say the small Wilwood kit (12" rotors and down) will easily outpace the comparible SSBC kit. You'd be hard pressed to beat a fully forged 4-piston girling style calipers (rigid!), polymatrix pads in your choice of friction materials, and an extremely well ventilated full-floating rotor. The Wilwood kit is also seriously light; the only steel part is the rotor ring (they aren't hat style rotors), everything else is forged billet aluminum. Wilwood made their name on brakes, and it's the only thing they do. Period.

In my setup I'm currently running factory drums in the back with a disk/drum master and proportioning valve from a Fairmont. The car is very stable and perfectly flat under braking; no pitching or pulling. Pedal modulation and effort is especially nice even without any form of a brake booster.

Whether or not you go 4 wheel disc is entirely up to you and your personal driving habits. I find disc/drum to be more than adequate, but then again, I don't really drive aggressively anywhere that would require repeated panic stops.

Last edited by Kyle on Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:38 am 
Kyle

quote:
Originally posted by steve:
Hey Kyle good to see ya here! Hope to hook up with you guys at some cruise nights, or maybe Bothwell this year! Also there are some Fairlane Club of America mini-meets in Michigan this summer that we could maybe go to together. Later Steve

Sounds like a plan! Wink

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:43 am 
codycr6

brakes

I am using an Aerospace Engineering 4-piston 11 inch brake kit on my 64. It does require larger wheels, though, I am running 15 inch Wheel Vintique Magnum 500's and had to run a 1/2 inch spacer on the front. I am also running a narrowed 8.8 inch rear with disks from an Explorer. I will say braking is superb now...

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:47 am 
69supercj

Kyle, what bolt pattern are your wheels? I was looking at the wilwood site and it says that the dynalite series of hubs/rotors were multi-drilled for 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 4.75. Aren't most ford wheels 5 on 4.25?

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:02 am 
John64

69supercj
if you measure center - center of hole on a Ford 5 on 4½" rim it will measure out to be 5 on 4¼" . See charts below. Most rims for Ford were 5 X 4½" bolt circle. First chart you measure outside of one hole to center of another for actual measurement. The second chart , you measure center - center , then use the conversion

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:35 pm 
ponch0v

I have read that bump steer is a problem with the Granada disk conversions. Has anyone had issues with this?

I am planning this conversion but after dealing with bump steer in a p/s conversion in an early Bronco its something I will not tolerate.

Thoughts?

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:13 pm 
RoyL

New to the Fairlane world. Great stuff going on here! My son and I are working on a 1962 Fairlane 2-dr project. Have been reading as many articles on the disc brake swap as I can find and haven't seen anything specific to the 62 Fairlane. One company makes a kit starts with 63 . . . what's the difference from the 1962 to 1963? Will the "Granada swap" work for our 1962?
Thanks.
Roy

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:04 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: