Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:02 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Why are the front ends so tall?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
fair67cp

Why are the front ends so tall?

I was wondering if anybody knows why there has always been the problem of the fairlane front ends being jacked up after putting in new front springs? I know that I bought rear springs that add an additional 1" to the back and I bought the front springs for a small block which is only 40 lbs heavier than the 6 cylinder that is in her now. Well it has been over a year and maybe the front has settled an inch or so, but she still looks forward tall. I've heard of folks doing everything from cutting a coil off each front spring to finding modified front "lowering" spindles.

But why are the springs doing this in the first place? I have friends joke that she is begging for a big block, which would be cool but have you seen the price of gas lately!?

Mark in Md

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:16 am 
Bkin

Tall?

The designers of the style of car in the '60s called this the 'reverse wedge' look.
If you look at stock Mustangs, Galaxies, and Fairlanes of the mid '60s, you will see this 'look' of the front of the car looking higher than the rear. I always liked the look and am a little disapointed by those who 'jack-up' the rear to remove it. I have seen cars that the front has been lowered about an inch by heating the springs while they are on the car to release some of the load carrying ability of the spring. You can actually be quite precise about this by doing it slowly as you measure the top of the wheel-wells distance to the ground one side at a time.

Problem vs. Design? I guess it depends on your point of view. I lived in Texas in 1967 (I was eight) and my dream car is still the '67 Fairlane 500 with stacked headlights. I believe that the four door version was driven on every cop show of the day.

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:38 am 
wped-tv

Mine is up there too. Much higher than the old ones, I still have to replace the rear and that should help some i hope. From the pictures I have looked at in the old adds I never got the impression the fairlane had the reverse wedge look. Somewhere I think I saw a post on woodies site about the distance from ground to fender well. Some where there should be a book or document with the spec for body height. Anybody got that number?

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:55 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: