Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:33 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Letting steam off on Edelbrock and Mac's....

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RadLanesByRob

Letting steam off on Edelbrock and Mac's....

I need to let some steam off... I recently bought the aluminum water pump from edelbrock, (I have 2 of their intakes which I have minimal problems with, I'm pretty happy with them) yet with the water pump I ended up getting pretty upset. First I had to cut a piece out of the altenator bracket. In their instructions it says you might have to modify a generator bracket, but hey, thats alright It wasn't a big deal. I understand it is made out of aluminum and needs an extra rib or two in it. Then i find out they give me the wrong gaskets and the wrong bolts, the bolts were too long for the FE block, I think they gave me small block gaskets and bolts. I called them and had them send me the gaskets and bolts. I'm making a big deal out of it because the $160 price isn't just the water pump, its the water pump and accessories. Regardless I made the gaskets and I got bins of bolts, So I put it in on my own. I recieved the gaskets and haven't recieved the bolts. I'm on my last straw with them. I know they sell a cheap FE manifold, but I might just go with Blue Thunder or DOVE next time.
Sometimes I feel these companies barely put any engineering or quality care into the making and packaging of FE products. JMO

I called MAC's auto parts today, I wanted to order the two tailpipes that run over the axle on a 67 galaxie today. The lady told me that the product is shipped from the manufacturer and will take 3 weeks. I asked her the diameter of the pipe, and she didn't know... I'm really sick of people selling a product and not knowing a damn thing about it. It's really getting annoying to find parts. Now im gonna order U and J pipes from Summit and fabricate my own tailpipes. I'd rather pay the 80 dollars in U and J pipes than pay money to a company that doesn't know what it's selling, thats poor business ethics. Mad

But what do you expect with older cars I guess, It's still wrong.

Thanks for listening

Rob
1964 Fairlane 390
1967 LTD 390

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:14 pm 
67fairlane500
Site Admin

I totally agree with you. I get really surprised when, like you said, a company selling parts doesn't know what they are selling. You mean...they couldn't even put a note in the computer? Didn't need to be very long.

But, that is when you stop messing with sellers and go straight to that manufacturer. Summit i think is one of the best parts places as far as mass-produced off the shelf kind of stuff. That and autopartsexpress.com which is where I bought my heater core from. It just gets aggrevating.

Sorry to hear your trouble with Edelbrock. That is surprising to me as I haven't had those issues...again i am running a small block. Hope the pump is good.

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:31 pm 
RadLanesByRob

I'll tell you I haven't had one problem with Summit, I must spend 3 grand a year ordering parts from them, and if you have any problem at all with it, they are willing to do anything they can to help you fix it. I have been nothing but pleased with them...

I understand that Edelbrock was an isolated experience, and their products ain't bad, I just wish they would've sent me the bolts without me calling them back to tell them again, but other than that I haven't had much complaints with them either.

Rob

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:08 pm 
leadfoot25

steam

Welcome to the world of big buisness, unfortanately with mail order, no matter who it is, even summit, you can get the wrong part or a delay in shipping(which remember is usually the shipping companies fault) take it with a grain of salt as in restoring or repairing an old car, it's not like we can run to the local parts store every time, it's the nature of what we're doing,if you get lucky enough to find a company who still beleives the little guy is more important than the bottom dollar everytime....pass it on to your fellow enthusiast!!! we'd all like to expect perfection but if you let the incompetance of other get to you, you won't enjoy your hobby, it'll be more like a job, and thats no fun anymore. as far as not being familiar with the product they sell...NO EXCUSE...NONE!!!! but, you shouldn't plunk down your hard earned dollar till your satisfied first. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, there goes my steam...LOL

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:58 pm 
RadLanesByRob

Yeah but I must say, that with all of my orders through Summit, I have been treated with decency and they actually seemed like they try to do something if there is a problem. Everytime I order something I've always got it the next day unless its on backorder. Just my little plug.

Yeah I won't spend a dime on a company who don't take the time to find out information about their product. I mean the salesperson wouldn't give me the manufaturer's number or he wouldn't say "hey let me call them and I'll give you a call back"

Oh I finally recieved the bolts through Edelbrock today. I'm still kinda jacked about the situation, but mistakes can happen... I'm just glad they didn't blow me off and not send the bolts.

Rob

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:45 pm 
leadfoot25

summit

Glad to hear you got your parts, and as far as Summit, I've been treat VERY well there, even surprisingly well, in their Akron Ohio store.

oh yeah, don't be jacked, it'll build up and you'll regret it later when some other little item on your car fails, a little anecdote to share, a mechaniic I used to work with told me he used to get all fired up whenever he had probs with a car till he took the philosophy...." it's just nuts and bolts",kinda puts it all in perspective, good luck and enjoy your car!!
Rich

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:02 pm 
roger

edelbrock

I can;t knock the edelbrock line of equipment, never had a problem with their stuff or their follow up staff, i think you had an isolated problem.
I had a much worse expeirence, Instead of ordering the Edelbrock hi-flow water pump i ordered a hi-ouput pump from Milodon, good company, been in the business forever, and it was about 30 bucks cheaper than the edelbrock pump.
Got it & was shocked to see the "made in taiwan" label stamped right across the front of it!!
They should have to tell you when gear is not American made, i;d say Canadian made too, but, hell, we don;t make anything, We are a Country of warehouses for other peoples products!
And yes, I ground the label off!

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:56 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: