Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:03 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Member Projects

64 wagon build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
scorcher1967

I found a donor, actually two, very gutted hard tops in an area bone yard. Now, I will have to figure out how and where to cut them. The sheet metal is not perfect, but heck, with what we are about to do, it wont really matter.

Anyone know if the a-pillar angle is different on wagon/sedan vs hardtop? I know the windshield and roofs are different, so I want to know if I need the whole thing from the cowl back?

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:23 pm 
Mr. Ed

To avoid any regrets, get the cowl too. But now you lost me. What are you going to do with the hardtop roofs?

Later!
Mr. Ed
Question

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:45 am 
scorcher1967

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Ed:
To avoid any regrets, get the cowl too. But now you lost me. What are you going to do with the hardtop roofs?

Later!
Mr. Ed
Question

Basically, the entire shape of the roof is different. On the sedan/wagon there is the drip rail comes forward and down the a pillar. There is a crease on the roof about an inch above the drip rail
On the hard tops, the drip rail continues forward, and over the windshield. There is no crease. I want the roof, because at some point, I have to blend the two together, maybe drip rail down, maybe the entire coupe roof. Probably end up with something in between. Maybe use two coupe roofs to form one long one? Really hard to say until the doors are on, windows up, and see where the holes are.

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 am 
Mr. Ed

Cool! I didn't realize there were that many differences between the roofs.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Cool

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:23 am 
abe_lugo

64 on car domain

Scorcher, any updated on your build? Were those donors at the junkyard or did you buy them?

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:41 am 
scorcher1967

Still in the boneyard. Only nice days I seem to be at work, snow or is way cold on my days off.

I have been keeping myself busy by pulling the drivetrain out of my 67 mustang, and replacing the pump seal on my C6. Gotta bend up a vac line, and get it back in. Nearly impossible with full tube headers. For the record, those of you with FE motors in your mustangs and fairlanes, unless you are going full race, stick with the factory manifolds. To get the C6 in, or out, with full tube headers, you have to pull the shock tower braces, the entire motor, pull the headers, then you can get the tranny in and out. If the motor is in, you cannot work the headers in or out, and even unbolted, the headers wedge the tranny in the car. By the way, the seal I replaced cost $2.29, but required a full drivetrain pull to replace.

I need the space in my garage, so time for the mustang to be back on the road. Too many side projects, not enough room.

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:30 am 
scorcher1967

strip down

Got around to dismantling the interior today. Can't cut and weld the entire side of the car if it still has carpet and such.

Gives me a chance to fix some "issues"

Is it bad when the spare tire falls out through a minor rust hole?

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:58 pm 
scorcher1967

teardown continues. The interior is out except for the gauges and front bench. Passenger side trim is off, as well as the tailgate trim. Lots of dents and scratches. I was able to knock most of the dents straight in the tailgate trim, except the main panel. I will practice a bit before tackling the compound curves and ribs. Then polish it all up.

I am thinking about repainting the ribs and "Ranch Wagon" background red instead of factory black. Anyone done a color other than black?

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:12 pm 
scorcher1967

We picked out the donor vehicle. Its even a red interior!

Should be ready for pick up at the end of this week. Then, the real work begins

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:27 pm 
dave s

Field of Dreams

Just looking at the vehicles in the background, Makes shivers run up and down my spine.I sure could go insane there!

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:33 pm 
Mr. Ed

Look at all of those old trucks! And the '62 Fairlane in front of the '64. I'm drooling all over the keyboard.

But in answer to your red instead of black question. Both of my '63s (Fairlane and Falcon) had black side paint and in both cases I painted that trim to match the interior (blue on the Falcon and red on the Fairlane) with the same paint I used on the interior. I have gotten good comments on both cars.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Cool

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:53 am 
scorcher1967

Sometimes, I just go to that boneyard to look around, but today, Jimmy and I went to pick up the donor pieces. We found 2 55 gallon drums full of misc. side trim. Incredible place. Anyway, pics of the donor. I will start the real cutting monday.

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:50 pm 
scorcher1967

3 more concepts. Jimmy had a couple ideas, one of which includes removable cargo area windows....hmmmm

Take a look, tell me what you think.

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:26 pm 
scorcher1967

Cut up the donor today up at Jimmys. Gutted the rear window assemblies

Off with the roof

Cut out the side panels

Keeping these

Might try to sell some of the useable parts of this

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:21 pm 
scorcher1967

I got the rear windows home, did some measuring, and lining up, and revised the concept drawings to reflect that.

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:08 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: