Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Greetings all

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Will_64Fairlane

Greetings all

Just thought I'd drop in here after not visiting for a while, see who's still around. In the last couple years my faithful Fairlane has carried me from home in Montana to Pensacola FL for Navy OCS, then on to Corpus Christi where I have just finished Primary flight school and am about to find out what I'm going to fly. Recently I passed the 50,000 mile mark (miles I've put on it), for a presumed total of 214,000 (the odometer read 64,600 when I got it, and I'm fairly sure it'd rolled over once, but without talking to previous owners there's no way to know). Even with all these miles, fixing things when I could get to them, running the worn out motor that was in it until I could swing a new one, etc, it only stranded me twice, and the last time was over five years ago.
It's interesting to reactions people have. The rough condition of the body and paint may color the reactions, but a car this old is just something people don't see on the road anymore, in any condition. It's not for everyone, in fact I'm fairly certain that many typical drivers out there couldn't competently drive it, considering how few cars have manual brakes and steering, and even manual transmissions (let alone the fact that cars haven’t been made with column shift manuals in almost forty years). Sure it has idiosyncrasies, but it’s a price I’m willing to pay. I can’t wait until I have the facilities to rebuild it just the way I want it, but I’m sure it’ll keep rolling along until then.
So, here's to everyone else still driving Fairlanes; keep 'em on the road and away from the crushers.

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:44 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: