Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

anybody a fruit tree expert?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SD44

anybody a fruit tree expert?

i have a pear tree i planted about 5 years ago. at the time i planted it, it was about 4 feet tall. the next year it made about 3 pears, then the next year it made about 8. the past couple of years, it has just quit bearing. it still looks completely healthy, and is now around 10 ft. tall. why would it just quit bearing, yet remain completely healthy?

Post Thu May 10, 2007 10:44 am 
GerryProctor

It's not likely the tree, at least not your tree. There may be a missing pear tree in your area. Bees and other pollinators go from tree to tree. They were going between your tree and another close tree that may not be there any more. If you live in an area where pear trees are common, then you don't normally have this problem. If that's not the case, then when a tree is under stress or has been stressed, it's not unusual for them not to flower. There are some natural gardening site around that you can peruse for an answer. Suggest you look up Calvin Finch or organic gardening.

Post Thu May 10, 2007 11:23 am 
SD44

is it to late in the year to cut off some sprouts and try to start another tree beside it? the tree has about a half dozen sprouts around 2 ft. long coming up at the base of the tree. i know that normally these are supposed to be set in the winter, would they take off if i planted one at this time of year?

Post Thu May 10, 2007 2:52 pm 
GerryProctor

Probably won't work. The time to do this is before the sap starts flowing. Afterward, you are essentially killing the sapling. You didn't by chance have a mild winter with a harsh early spring freeze, did you? That could account for the lack of blooms.

Post Thu May 10, 2007 4:48 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: