Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

This is why junkyard owners are usually so crabby

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SD44

This is why junkyard owners are usually so crabby

Got an old parts car on ebay right now for my dad that's in his junkyard. Guy from Michigan sees it, sends me a message saying that he will be in the area and wants to drop by and look at it and look around. I give him my dad's number so they can get together.

After looking at the car for a few minutes and nit-picking every little flaw as though it was supposed to be a new car, they start looking around.

Well this guy sees some original steel wheels in good shape for a early 70's Chevy pickup. He asks how much and my dad says $10 each; the guy goes into a coniption saying, "ohh noo, i wouldn't dare pay over $5 each for them, that's just too much!" My dad bites his lip, they look around more. Guy asks him if he has any good turbo 350 cores. My dad says yes, and asks what would he give for them. Guy says, "oh I wouldn't want to give over $20 apiece for them." Now this is complete, buildable, Turbo 350 trannys.

So next time you go to talk to a junkyard owner and he's a bit of a sour-puss, remember that there's dozens of knuckleheads like this that come by alot wasting the owner's time and wanting something for nothing because they think they're talking to an idiot. Evil or Very Mad

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:01 pm 
thefairlaneman

Yea some people want to steal your stuff .I would get me a mean junkyard dog and when someone acts that way I would let the dog go...

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:05 pm 
compact

.....oh you remember that 2 door 63 i wanted SD44.........would a 20 do.... Shocked Laughing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ok i'll be serious now Rolling Eyes

you may or may not know the answer to this.....but lets say a deal was done for some doors and rear 1/4 windows......what would you guys expect the freight to be from missippi to LA

its only to put in my mind what it would cost me to get to a shipping company there....im just curious Rolling Eyes Wink

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:16 am 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by compact:
.....oh you remember that 2 door 63 i wanted SD44.........would a 20 do.... Shocked Laughing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ok i'll be serious now Rolling Eyes

you may or may not know the answer to this.....but lets say a deal was done for some doors and rear 1/4 windows......what would you guys expect the freight to be from missippi to LA

its only to put in my mind what it would cost me to get to a shipping company there....im just curious Rolling Eyes Wink

compact,
even though he'd make more money parting them out, he'll only sell whole cars. my dad is elderly and he's just not going to take the time and effort to crawl in and under cars and take stuff off. and i don't have the time or interest in doing it either, i don't have anything to do with his business except occasionally he will ask me to put something on ebay for him. if a car is pretty much junk, he'd let someone come by and take off what the wanted (for a price, of course), but if it's something fixable, like the 63, he'll only sell it as a whole.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:36 am 
compact

fair enough mate....and i understand totally...whish i had the extra money to buy the whole thing but then shipping costs are about 3k from LA.....so thats plus the shipping form wherever i buy it ......

so for us over here its better buying something in fairly good condition cos the shipping charges dont change and it makes the car uneconomical unless it quite rare and wanted over here

I would nt say there are that many 62-64 fairlane lovers over here...and we had our own models from 66 on

cheers Darren

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:32 am 
SD44

is there a website where we can see pics of the australian fairlanes of the 60's? i know the bodystyles were usually a bit different.

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:23 am 
compact

Za was our first local car built in i think 66-67( i thought ebay links would be easier..if the mods dont like it pm me and i will chase other photos)
this ones butchered in the grill with rectangular driving lights
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ford-fairlane-za-1967_W0QQitemZ110114490654QQihZ001QQcategoryZ102225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ZB was next in the 68 year
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-ZB-LPG-Fairlane-No-Eng-Trans-V8-ZA-ZC-ZD-XR-XW-XY_W0QQitemZ290105874532QQihZ019QQcategoryZ101895QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ZC 1969 was almost the same as 70 but slightly different grill and taillights...got to have a good eye to pick them
This is a pic of the 1970 model ZD
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1970-ZD-FAIRLANE-UNFINISHED_W0QQitemZ170102319002QQihZ007QQcategoryZ102225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and they go into the seventies with different shapes too

one day i might get bored and collect all the photos of different models and put them on the board...if this is wanted just let me know

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:16 am 
la8ron

You could try www.falcongt.com.au/fairlane/FAIRLANE.html it has photos of the 1967 ZA thru to the 1974ZG fairlanes, they also have a couple of photos of the ltd's plus the landau coupe.

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:53 am 
karkev

I was raised up in a salvage yard. The old guy who owned it was a cranky old fellow.

Right after Halloween 1984 an elderly guy came out to the yard and said kids had broken the tailight lenses in his '62 Falcon and would Boyd (salvage yard owner) see if he had a set.

Boyd stopped what he was doing, pulled lenses out of a '63 in the yard, brought 'em to the old guy and said "$10" to which the old man replied, "That's kinda high dontcha think ?".

Boyd put the lenses on the work bench, picked up a ball peen hammer, smashed 'em into liitle red bits and said, "Now you can go get 'em somewhere else cheaper."

Another time, a young tweaker came in desperate for a starter for 400 Pontiac. Boyd pulled one off the shelf, showed it to the kid and the kid said, "YEAH!YEAH!YEAH! THAT'S IT ! Reckon it's any good !?!"

Boyd hurled the starter out the door and said, "Yep, it's the best one in the world - now get the hell out of here."

(Note: most salvages only pull good parts and put those on the shelf Wink .)
(daughter's car)

Mauser & Gew88 collector.

Post Tue May 01, 2007 4:17 pm 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by karkev:
I was raised up in a salvage yard. The old guy who owned it was a cranky old fellow.

Right after Halloween 1984 an elderly guy came out to the yard and said kids had broken the tailight lenses in his '62 Falcon and would Boyd (salvage yard owner) see if he had a set.

Boyd stopped what he was doing, pulled lenses out of a '63 in the yard, brought 'em to the old guy and said "$10" to which the old man replied, "That's kinda high dontcha think ?".

Boyd put the lenses on the work bench, picked up a ball peen hammer, smashed 'em into liitle red bits and said, "Now you can go get 'em somewhere else cheaper."

lol, that's pretty close to my dad, but years of cheap asses will do that to ya. i swear if he tried to sell a car for a dime somebody would try to work him down to a nickel.

Another time, a young tweaker came in desperate for a starter for 400 Pontiac. Boyd pulled one off the shelf, showed it to the kid and the kid said, "YEAH!YEAH!YEAH! THAT'S IT ! Reckon it's any good !?!"

Boyd hurled the starter out the door and said, "Yep, it's the best one in the world - now get the hell out of here."

(Note: most salvages only pull good parts and put those on the shelf Wink .)

Post Tue May 01, 2007 9:48 pm 
thefairlaneman

The problem I have is every time I want to sell something its not worth beans,,,,,But when I try to buy something they always want GOLD

Post Sun May 06, 2007 12:07 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: