Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

replacing my bottom quarter (pics)

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SD44

replacing my bottom quarter (pics)

i'm sure this seems crude to some of you with more experience and better equipment, but this is my first project car so i'm learning as i go. i cut both the old quarter piece and the replacement piece off with a set of hand nibblers. they worked me to death, lol. spot welded the replacement panel on, put fiberglass over it, buffed off that flash rust, and applied bondo. just bought a new air file, haven't had time to work the bondo yet. as you can see by the trim holes, the replacement came off a 67.

spot welds

ground down the welds

fiberglassed over the weld seam, sanded after this pic

first round of filler, after removing surface rust

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:37 pm 
SD44

are pics blocked in this forum? just wondering why they're not showing. Crying or Very sad

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:50 pm 
Lawdog

Fixed you had the imaged tags swappes

[img] beginning

[/img] end

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:54 pm 
odd ball

looks like it will turn out ok. Next time, if it were me, I would do more welding. The best way to do it without warping the metal is to just keep doing spotwelds in different places untill you have a soild line. It would give it more strength. Also, I think you could overlap the two pieces a bit. Makes the welding easier. This book was a great help to me in my project:

Pro Paint & Body

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:06 pm 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by odd ball:
looks like it will turn out ok. Next time, if it were me, I would do more welding. The best way to do it without warping the metal is to just keep doing spotwelds in different places untill you have a soild line. It would give it more strength. Also, I think you could overlap the two pieces a bit. Makes the welding easier. This book was a great help to me in my project:

Pro Paint & Body

oddball,
i did overlap, actually what i did was underlapped the replacement under the top area. for that not to be obvious in the pics, i must have done a pretty decent job (thank goodness). no way could i have cut both those pieces perfectly the same, i'm not that good. i left half of the inner wall on the replacement piece, and overlapped the inner wall on my car because as you can see it was pretty rusty at the bottom. took a little hammer and dolly work to get the curve under the tailight flush, but i got it done. i also spotted the inner wall, the inner wheel well, and under the tailight area. i just spaced out the welds about like i see them do on shows like overhaulin' and other restoration shows. also, i did leapfrog around like kevin on paintucation says do, to keep from building up heat.

thanks for the feedback, i love hearing people's opinions! by all means, if there's another way someone would've done it, let me know! Laughing

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:52 pm 
odd ball

Sounds good to me! Can't wait to see it finished! Wana come up here and help me on my 2 rust outs, hehe.

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:00 pm 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by odd ball:
Sounds good to me! Can't wait to see it finished! Wana come up here and help me on my 2 rust outs, hehe.

man i'd love too, but we have two more in line after this one! we have another 66 fairlane in line that we're gonna put a 428 SCJ in, the engine came out of a 69 or 70 mustang (has the funny counterweight on the front), and 4 speed toploader. and we have a 2 door 57 ford that we're gonna put a 312 4 barrel in. i want to keep it 3 speed on the column like it came, my dad wants to make it automatic.

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:37 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: