Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Members Cars

My 1966 Fairlane 500xl convertible

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dtox66

My 1966 Fairlane 500xl convertible

My first car was a 1966 barracuda which I sold to move to Colorado and live the snowboard dream. Took the $1300 bucks I sold it for (exactly what I bought it for) and got a '81 subaru gl wagon. Needed the all wheel for the snow.

Ever since then I have been looking for another classic to work on and drive. Almost bought a couple different cars last summer, and finally pulled the trigger about 2 weeks ago. We wanted a Sunday driver, something nice, but we didnt want to break the bank, or have something so nice, we wouldn't ever drive it. Since it was going to be a summer car, might as well be a convertible right?

We looked at tempests, galaxies, falcons, impalas, as well as a few barracudas. I really liked the stacked headlights and clean lines of the 66-67 fairlanes and found this one.

Its a 1966 fairlane 500 xl convertible (they only made 4500 or so of these, which I'm sure you all know) with the 390, power steering, manual brakes, power top and wheel covers. I am the 4th owner and the car supposedly has 39k original miles.

Here she is with the top down at the house.

Heres one before she arrived.

Not the greatest interior shot, but you get the idea. I looks like the restoration is about 10 years old or more. Not the most professional job, and they only did select components. But it runs stong, theres no bondo and the only rust is a tiny bit in the trunk.

Looking forward to learning more and working on the car this summer. I know the seats/door panels are not factory correct, but we like the way they look. We are going to have the seats rebuilt and recovered with the same color scheme soon. Guy here in denver quoted a grand to do the custom work. I know I can get single color seat covers online for about $400 but I really like the 2 tone.

What do you guys think?

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:34 pm 
Rylic

Looks like a pretty clean car. Welcome to the forum!

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
dtox66

thanks

I need to install a manual choke for those cold weather starts I think. Got the new trunk weather stripping in the mail this week and of course its snowing/raining again in Colorado.

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:48 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: