Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

1-wire alternator

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave's Pro-Street 65

1-wire alternator

I recently purchased a Billet Specialties True Trac System for my car and it comes with a Powermaster 120 amp alternator, and I was wondering what is involved to install this. It says to install a wire from the alternator to the positive post on the battery. My battery is in the trunk, so I was wondering if it would be alright to run the the output wire, of adequate size, to the right side of the soleniod (as you are facing it). I am running a high torque starter, so this is the side that the positive lead from the battery runs to. My battery cable is 1/0 size cable. Or should I run the wire back to the battery.The rest of the charging system can be discarded as far as I know. The only change that I have made to the charging system up to now, is to add a 80 amp chrome alternator and upgraded to a 68 and later solid state voltage regulator. Burnt out the stock points type.
Thanks,
Dave

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:17 pm 
scotta66gt

Oughta work

Howdy. It oughta work. Electrically it's the same thing, so like you said so long as it's a nice 4 gauge or whatever with good solid terminals and nice clean connections to the same post on the solenoid that the battery positive comes to it should make no difference.

Actually if you need to run a master electrical cutoff switch sometime that kills both the battery and the alternator your proposed setup might make that easier.

And the later universal voltage regulator is rated to 70 amps, I just installed one to. The regulator does not actually see full alternator current, so you're good there as well.

Good luck, sounds like a fun ride!

- Scott

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:31 am 
Dave's Pro-Street 65

1-wire Alternator

Sorry! I don't know how I managed to double post this topic.
Dave

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:05 am 
Dave's Pro-Street 65

1-wire Alternator

Sorry! I don't know how I managed to double post this topic.
Dave

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:05 am 
abe lugo

I've use the 1 wire conversion module you see on some ford

I think a few places sell them, I kept poping my alterator so I switched back to the orginals style alt on my 351W in my 57 ford

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:46 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: