Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:11 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Why Like the Ford Cars?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wishbone

Why Like the Ford Cars?

Name a decade that Ford has dominated the muscle car?
Why do people restore old Ford's and put Chevy 350 engines in them?
Nascar should be called ChevyCar? Every commercial on during the race is a chevy driver or sponsor?
Ford thinks a good week in Nascar is having a top 10 finish?
All the Hot Rod shows feature Chevy, or Dodge Hemi?
Barrett Jackson looked like a Corvette or GM convention?
Why choose a Ford?
They are way more expensive to restore?
Just pondering why I like my 63 Fairlane Sports Coupe so much?

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:46 pm 
la8ron

Did any manufacturer dominate a whole decade with a single brand muscle car. As for putting chevs in fords, I really want to see someone put a ford motor into a chev or mopar just to be different. Don't get a lot of nascar coverage down here ( about 20 minutes as a highlight package). The only way I hear about the barret jackson auction is threw this forum, so can't really comment on that. Ford produces more of the body styles that I like, thats why I choose a ford. I have to agree with you about the price of parts. If you didn't have your 63 fairlane what other car would you have, a mustang, a camaro ( both are reffered to as belly button cars down here) or some other car that is just as hard or even harder to get parts for making it even more expensive to restore.

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:01 am 
SD44

just personally for me, i prefer the bodystyles of fords over anything else: fairlane, mustang, torino, comet/cyclones, galaxies, ford pickups, 50/55/57 fords.

the type person i hate is one who is an ignorant GM fan that makes ridiculous statements like "i'd rather ride a bicycle than drive a ford!" Come on, all manufacturers made some good stuff and all manufacturers have made some junk at one time or another. Yes i'm loyal to ford and only want to restore fords, but i'm not a "hater" of GM or Mopar.

And I disagree about Barrett-Jackson, it began as a mostly Mopar show (yes, and alot of corvettes) but lately it has gotten too foreign for me; i don't care anything at all about watching all the ferrari, lamborgini, spyder, porche, etc cars over and over. Personally, I don't care much for pre-50's cars either, and they have a ton of those, too.

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:25 am 
bulletpruf

I concur with SD44 - I bought a '67 Fairlane because I love the lines on those cars. Could have bought anything, but that's my first choice. Best looking car that I've ever owned.

Also, who needs another '69 Camaro? They're not bad looking cars, but everyone has one!

Scott

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:23 pm 
Rylic

Honestly, if I had my choice, I'd either buy a 72 4-4-2, a 70 Chevelle, or a 69 Charger. On looks alone, you can't beat a Chevelle in my opinion, but at the same time, everyone has a Chevelle. This Fairlane was in the family, and belonged to one of my uncles who died when he was 19 in a car crash, then it belonged to his brother, who finally passed it to me. So there's a lot of history with this car for me personally. I do love the lines on it though, it's definitely a beautiful car, and I wouldn't sell it for anything.

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  

Greetings

I'm new here, and this is my first post.

"Wishbone" mentioned restoring old Fords and putting Chevy 350 engines in them. Guess I can comment on that.

I'm not into restoring as such; my philosophy is more like "find something that's not too good and make it better," while trying to have it turn out unique as well.

First Ford project was a '71 Pinto, way back in the '70s. It was highly modified, with a 396--and later, 427--Chebby, with GM auto, and 9" rear end. Ran 11's @ 120. Didn't cost a lot, was definitely backyard, and was a kick in the pants to drive.

After being away from cars for a long time, putting something else together sounded like a fun thing to do. Found this '66 Fairlane cancer patient, laying there in the street corroding away, for the right price. I always liked that body style; just couldn't let it go to the boneyard--or to someone that would ruin it worse than I could. Some kid had tried to pull a tractor out of a mudhole with this one. It had what looked like 50-caliber h0les in it; it was pretty much waterlogged and otherwise beat-in-the-a$$.

There wasn't a reasonably-priced, sure-thing (low miles, not abused, hear-it-run) Ford motor locally that I could find, so I picked up a cheap 350 Mexi-Motor, gearbox, and all the other stuff, including an early Pontiac rear end. Took two years of hard work, and it's been on the road for a year or so. Sure gets looks, and compliments; not only is it nasty-looking/sounding, there just aren't that many Fairlanes on the loose around here.

Of course, I've been cursed for ruining the old Ford, but to each his own, I say. How do most on this site feel? Is this cross-breed thing just plain distasteful and sacrilegious?

L8R

P.S.--BTW--recently, I saw an early Chevy with a Ford motor in it. Too cool. :]

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:35 am 

Greetings

I'm new here, and this is my first post.

"Wishbone" mentioned restoring old Fords and putting Chevy 350 engines in them. Guess I can comment on that.

I'm not into restoring as such; my philosophy is more like "find something that's not too good and make it better," while trying to have it turn out unique as well.

First Ford project was a '71 Pinto, way back in the '70s. It was highly modified, with a 396--and later, 427--Chebby, with GM auto, and 9" rear end. Ran 11's @ 120. Didn't cost a lot, was definitely backyard, and was a kick in the pants to drive.

After being away from cars for a long time, putting something else together sounded like a fun thing to do. Found this '66 Fairlane cancer patient, laying there in the street corroding away, for the right price. I always liked that body style; just couldn't let it go to the boneyard--or to someone that would ruin it worse than I could. Some kid had tried to pull a tractor out of a mudhole with this one. It had what looked like 50-caliber h0les in it; it was pretty much waterlogged and otherwise beat-in-the-a$$.

There wasn't a reasonably-priced, sure-thing (low miles, not abused, hear-it-run) Ford motor locally that I could find, so I picked up a cheap 350 Mexi-Motor, gearbox, and all the other stuff, including an early Pontiac rear end. Took two years of hard work, and it's been on the road for a year or so. Sure gets looks, and compliments; not only is it nasty-looking/sounding, there just aren't that many Fairlanes on the loose around here.

Of course, I've been cursed for ruining the old Ford, but to each his own, I say. How do most on this site feel? Is this cross-breed thing just plain distasteful and sacrilegious?

L8R

P.S.--BTW--recently, I saw an early Chevy with a Ford motor in it. Too cool. :]

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:35 am 
wishbone

Chevy takes top 8 spots in MArtinsville!

Ford is folding it's race teams. The drivers are always the last to know.

Ford should refund ticket sales for all the embarrased ford fans at the races this year.

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:37 pm 
alienboyfinney

Did you stop to think for one min. that if want for fords you wouldn't have have of the cars you have today, I mean if it want for the model-T you probably wouldn't have your Carmaros, Super Bees, or mustangs. I a ford fan. I hate crossbreeds and I wouldn't trade a Run down pinto that ain't got wheels for a chevy, I may conceder trading it for a mopar but nothing else. I was given a 80's model carmaro i while back all it needed was amotor I sold it for $50.

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:32 pm 
dave s

Cross breedin.

When I started out ,us Ford boys had no choice , I had a 47 Ford with a nail head Buick (54)I think every second 40 Ford had a 265 Chevy,(55) Hell Ford didn't have a decent O headvalve to use.

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:07 pm 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by wishbone:
Chevy takes top 8 spots in MArtinsville!

Ford is folding it's race teams. The drivers are always the last to know.

Ford should refund ticket sales for all the embarrased ford fans at the races this year.

This may be hard for you to believe, but just because someone is a car guy doesn't mean they follow Nascar. I love classics, I could spend the rest of my life going to Classic car shows every weekend. But I wouldn't attend a Nascar event if you gave me tickets. No bitter reason or anything, I-just-don't-care. Confused It interests me about as much as watching paint dry. I wouldn't know one single driver if it weren't for having to sit through highlights while watching football and baseball scores on ESPN and catching the occasional Nascar highlight.

And since you're obviously bashing Fords, let me tell you why my family is full of Ford people. During the 40's, 50's, 60's my family all had whiskey stills and bootlegged corn whiskey. They said you could run the Fords wide open for long distances, while everything else blew up after a few miles. Also, they said if a Ford was hot it would still crank, while the GM's would not crank if hot. Now this isn't something i read in a hotrod magazine, this is true life stories that I've heard since I was a toddler, so it carries alot of weight with me.

And I don't think losing races in a tubing car that isn't even a production vehicle is as embarassing as almost going bankrupt and being in the biggest financial trouble of it's existence, Mr. Goodwrench. Confused

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:51 pm 
YamahaDad

I agree on some of those statements. Both brands have their trademark cars and trucks at several shows. If anything, Mopar has less cars as a group out there than any other mark. This can be found at any car show. Camaros are like mustangs. They are EVERYwhere! The truest hotrod of them all, the 32 Ford. The most common hotrod truck, F-100's all over the place. There are a lot of chevy's out there as well. The run of the mill Camaro, lots of chevelles. The closest cousin to the fairlane, the Nova II. I guess I like the Fairlane a lot better just because they aren't all over the place and the places where us fairlane lovers get together, just tend to be a lot more fun and informative. Why a Ford over a Chevy? No real reason. Just like the fairlane Smile
Parts are easier to find for a chevy than a ford that is true, but I'm just glad for the parts I can get for my Fairlane after restoring a Buick Wildcat. There is jack out there for that brand.

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:42 pm 
la8ron

quote:
Originally posted by YamahaDad:
The truest hotrod of them all, the 32 Ford.

There is meant to be more 32 coupes on the road now than there was when they built them in 1932. Personnally I like the 34 stling better.

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:02 pm 
alienboyfinney

47 coupe is the best looking one.

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:54 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: